Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone tell me...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Dec 16, 2001.

1. What gauge strings come stock on an Ibanez sr400? I want to replace these cuz they are too thin...But, does this mean i haveta make some other adjustments? I kind of want to know what gauge these are so i can get strings just a tiny bit thicker...that would be ideal.
    CAN ANYONE RECCOMEND SOME GOOD STRINGS FOR AN IBANEZ SR400??????

Thanks
    Graham

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you go with a heavier gauge string, you will have to completely setup the bass. You will probably require a truss adjustment, but at least the action and intonation will need to be reset.

Unless you don't mind the higher action.

My advice is to buy the strings that you want, set up the bass (or have it done) and stick with those strings. That way you have the bass playing the way you want it to play.

Also, you should know that just knowing the guage is not enough. You really need to know the exact string that was used if you want to avoid a setup. Even though strings are of the same guage, things such as materials used and design can significantly effect the tension of the string. For example; Nickel verses stainless or hex core verses round core.

Chas

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    well, regular gauge strings are 45-105 or 45-100. I use medium heavy, which are 50-105. These are pretty fat.