Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone think of a reason not to run guitar/cello thru a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretGrinder, Apr 12, 2001.

1. I'm getting a 6x10" and a 600w (RMS) hybrid tube/ss amp, and after shelling out for this i dont wanna buy another amp for at least 5 years.

Can anyone think of a reason not to run a guitar or cello through it? Can anyone think of reasons why it might be good to, or think of guitarists who've used bass amps as part of their "sound"? I think Robert Smith of The Cure did early in his career ... ?

2. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I guess there is no reason. A friend of mine plays cello in a triphop band trough an EBS Drome combo and it works and sounds great!

3. More to the point, can it sound OK?

<< oops, forgot to refresh - Thanks!

4. Even more to the point, are we talking electric or acoustic guitar? Some bass amps, like the old old Fenders are much better for guitar than bass. But I think that electric guitar through a modern, clean high quality bass amp sounds insipid and mediocre.

Acoustic instruments, whatever they are, don't sound really good through amps designed for electric instruments, because those amps don't have sufficient range to handle the complex acoustic sound well. I have an acoustic guitar with a piezo (Martin 000-1) and a bass with piezo (Rob Allen). They sound fine through acoustic amps, like the Fender acoustasonic (though I can't play at volume with the bass through the acoustasonic as the speakers won't handle it - so I didn't buy it) or the wonderful SWR California Blonde (I actually tried one at last the other day! I wish it had been for sale). When I gig with either of these instruments I DI them through the PA and THEN run into a stage amp only if I need extra monitor. The stage sound is not satisfying. The PA sound is.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Old bass amps were actually guitar amps with a beefier speaker, so guitars would still sound good through them.

Current bass amps are designed for bass, with limited frequency response suited to the instrument. While you won't damage your equipment, chances are the sound is not going to be good at all. I think you would be better off getting a small guitar amp (SansAmp 10, Laney 15, etc).

6. Ler LaLonde of Primus uses an SWR behind his guitar amp to make them sound bassier. The SWR is blasting the guitar amp from behind, so the notes project farther I guess.