Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone who reads X-men fill me in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 5intheface, Mar 5, 2005.

1. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I used to be an avid comic reader and my favorite was always X-men. I recently got back into comics by a couple of friends, and have been caught up in the new Avengers (catch up quick, it kicks ass) But I want to rekindle my love for good old Uncanny X-men. When I went to the comic book store today, I noticed I was about 4 or 5 years out of it......Anybody know some major points of what's going on?

When I last left X-men, they had fought some blood piriates or something....There was a new guy who was from India as the new Thunderbird.....um, it was right before the movie came out and they effed-up the whole series and stuff.

Some general Questions:

-Who is X-23 (she's currently important in the latest issue)
    -What happened to Thunderbird?
    -When did Wolverine's past get revealed?
    -What's happened that's big (duh)
    -Is Rachel Summers from actual timeline or and alternate one?
    -What happened to Angel?
    -When did Wolverine get his new costume that looks like his old yellow one? (I like it...)

And anything you could fill me in on would be appreciated...Thanks

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Brendan is the only comic book dude I know of around TB. Did you try finding a comic book, or X-Men forum on the net?

Wolverines past was revealed in the second X-Men movie. Check it out.

-Mike

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Wolverine's origin, i.e., his birth and childhood, was revealed a couple of years ago in a standalone comic by Bill Jemas and Paul Jenkins.

That, and the fact that marvel relaunched X-men is all that I know right now.

4. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    Oh, so Wolverine still doesn't know his own past then? No, I didn't try looking for another forum because I hate joining these things and I don't like spending lots of time on them.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    The wolverine story:
    He grew up rich. He had people working for his father. Then One day Wolverine killed the person who killled his father. I think his father was named Logan. Thats how he got that name. He had a girlfriend or something who was getting hurt and he went crazy and killed someone. Then he worked in a coal mine and killed another person. Then he lived in the forest with wolves. Then he joined the army and went to the Canadian special opps. Where they put metal into him. After living a pointless life, he finaly found the X-man.

Thats the wolverine story as I understand it. Notice how confusing what I wrote is. I got this from reading like one book a year and off the net.

What I really want to read is the wolverine mini stories. When he teamed up with the Punisher or when he got brain washed and started killing like every super hero

6. SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Aug 20, 2004
    The Last Frontier
    I'm pretty sure that before Wolverine joined the X-men he was in this Canadian(I think) mutant team called Alpha Flight. I think the leader's name was Vindicator maybe? other members of it were two guys named Puck and Sasquatch, then a guy and girl who could fly, and this Indian medicine man style mutant. I'll have to dig up the comic with them all in it.

7. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    Yeah, Alpha Flight was cool. One of the guys in it (i don't remember which) was gay, and that was the first i'd ever heard of a gay super hero. They got thier won series later.

8. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    If you're looking for an X-Men book to get into right now, I would say start with Astonishing X-Men. It's pretty new in the run (#8) and the story telling and art are fantastic. Quite easily the best X-Men book out now. It's the one I'm reading now.

9. Around 15 years ago, there was this drunk who lived down the hall from me. He would drink his paycheck away in a week, and would always beg for money. He gave me a whole dresser drawer full of comics for enough money for a six pack. I read all the comics, kept a few of the ones that interested me, and let him buy the comics back on payday(I let him know what I kept and he didn't care) In that drawer of comics was a load of The Uncanny X-Men, I got so into the series, this is right after Wolverine series came out and had 1-22 of that, the Kitty Pride/Wolverine miniseries, and a bunch of other stuff. I was collecting X-Men/Wolverine stuff for a few years until they got so many different titles and cross threading that I couldn't keep a story straight- so I stopped.

Out of that drawer of comics- one of the ones I gave back- the 300th issue of Spider Man.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My brother has that issue of Spider-Man! Great issue.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aye, X-Men is probably the only comic cannon I haven't kicked into yet. I'm current on Ultimate X-Men, but that's kind of a "greatest hits" thing, if you will.

Check out the Marvel Directory (google it) and it should give you the skinny on most characters and how they fit in.

And Origin: Wolverine isn't nessicarily the de facto answer to his past, though it's as good as any story. It remains to be seen, however, if he did in fact have a wife and family; Weapon X has been pretty good at keeping that one out of reach. Origin may give you the first 20 years, but there's a whole lot of gaps left to be filled in.

I've been pretty busy taking in things like Lucifer, Scud, Doom 2099 (Warren Ellis' first solo writings starting at like, issue 26), and slogging through Hellblazer, reading Top 10 (I love that series), and a few others. JSA, JLA (Damn you Grant Morrison), and have been tracking down Miller's run on Daredevil and his Robocop stint.

...up to 4000+ issues. More if you count the ones I just deleted, and didn't burn (then it'd be much closer to double that) or keep.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK, it took him longer than I expected, but I knew Brendan would stumble by this thread and hit us with some knowledge.

-Mike

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    What, you deleted and didn't burn.
    What do you mean?
    You must let me know!!!!!

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I support piracy, both seafaring and digital.

15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    No...............I don't care about what you have on your computer or what you do with it.
    Please tell what do you mean? Is there a place on the internet where you can read comice books for free? I would really like to know.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is there a place? Yes.

Is it legal? No.

Ergo my statement about piracy.

17. Bahahahahahahahaha. Gotta love the Canadian armed forces. Man I feel bad for the guys in Afghanistan wearing green. :rollno: