1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CAN$ at par, order US online?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peetey, Apr 9, 2010.

1. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    The Canadian dollar is at par with the US dollar. Big difference in prices between canadian and american online music stores. I think it would be a good time to order online from a US store. Also, I have family just on the other side of the border, about an hour drive. They would do me a favor and drive the gear to me. Also, I would save on international shipping and duty.

1 - Good idea?

2- My main question is I would lose out on the warranty. Is it that big of a deal?

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If you can, have them order it-then you (they) will have the warranty.

3. I have had TONS brought in from the states as I live in a border town (Sault Ste. Marie). Things I have ordered include drum kit and cymbals (for my son) as well as power amps, my U.S. Specotr bass etc. etc. As far as the warranty, I hace the shipping address on my gear (i.e. that's my American address, if I need to use the warranty, I will ship back to the same destination). Don't let Canadian stores/distributors "get you" with the warranty B.S.

You will save BIG if you shop and research properly. Believe me!!

Marc

4. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    It will be no problem to have my family (they live in Messina NY) order the gear for me. The warranty will be under their name. The chances are slim but if there's a problem with the gear I would have to drive it back to them (about an hour), then have the gear shipped back for repair or replacement, drive back home, wait, drive back and pick up again.

A bit of a hassle but if the savings are big it might be worthwhile.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's great to have some buying power again. I just ordered a Carvin Bolt 4 bass kit a couple days ago. Not only was our dollar worth 99+ cents that day, but Carvin also has the bass kit on sale at $100 off. I got the swamp ash body and gold hardware option. This will be a fun summer project.

I put together a Bolt 4 in alder about 6 years ago and it turned out great. Looks good, plays beautifully and has a great jazz bass sound. That Carvin neck is fantastic.

Anyhow, yes, it is a good time to order from the USA if you can. The Canadian music stores haven't dropped the prices much for US products so we're getting hosed up here.

6. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Are you having the bass delivered to your home? Do still end up ahead after international shipping + duty?

As for warranty, I guess there's less chance of something to go wrong with a bass than with an amp and a cab.

7. I got myself the bolt5 kit with active electronics. However I had Carvin Tung oil the neck and body.Cost about $50-60 for them to do this but the results were beautiful. Getting the through body string ferrules in was a trick. I ended up using a piece of plastic kitchen cutting board and a hammer to get them in without damage to them. I chose black hardware as I think black against the oiled wood finish is gorgeous.
    Enjoy your project.

Paul

P.S. For those who don't know, Carvin charges more for shipping to Canada BUT they handle ALL the customs paper work and duties. Oh, and I just ordered a BX1500, a sleeve in White Bronco, some strings (great strings BTW @ $17 for a six string set) and some cables.