1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can cab be made louder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svp, Mar 9, 2008.

1. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have a single 15 cab I recently replaced the speaker in with a Eminence Kappa 15LFA (600watts). Their info gives a enclosure size range and suggests vented. My enclosure falls in the middle of their suggested range and is vented. Problem is it is sounding like it's lacking some bottom and I don't know like maybe the enclosure needs to be a little bigger to really get full potential and volume out of this speaker. My question is if I increase the port size or add another port, would this accomplish this. Also this is a custom made cab and the inside side is lined with a looks to be a half inch thick material similar to carpet padding, kind of like Bag End uses. If I pull this stuff out what would the result be? Thanks for any input in advance:confused:

2. Pulling the wadding out would probably make it worse - it fools the speaker into thinking the cab is bigger than it is.

3. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    What is the internal volume

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It lacks volume and bottom because it's a 15. To make it louder, replace it with a 410. You'll get more bottom, too.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably not. If you want a cab that goes low and goes loud it must also be large.
    You'd ruin the cab. One of the main shortcomings of most cabs is insufficient cab lining.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yes. That is why 10s are the driver of choice for all subwoofer applications.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, my man, go to the website of the speaker cabinet manufacturer of your choice, and scope out the frequency response specs for their 15's versus their 10's. Further, using subwoofer speakers would be fine if you were going to cross them over at about 100 hz and put some 10's up there to handle everything above that.

One of the reasons those big speakers sound so muffy by themselves is that they have no appreciable mid and upper frequencies, and you lose all of the overtones that give your sound its flavor. So sure, if you want a big mess of low frequency muff, stick with the big speakers.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well, my man, maybe you should look at the websites of the actual speaker manufacturers, the accurately measured plots and model the T/S specs response and then act less condescending when you realise you're pretty much 100% wrong.

Alex

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Ah. So you are not going to pound your 10s Go Lower drum again? Because I agree that as one decreases cone size one generally increases upper midrange reach and off-axis response. That's why I use a good 15" for lows and a good 6" above it.

10. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    The choice of configuration of either 4X10 v 1X15 has no bearing on loudness or 'bottom'.

The cabinet design, and the sonic, mechanical and electrical performance characteristics of the drivers however, have everything to do with it. It is entirely possible to design a 1X12 or 1 X 10 that is more efficient and goes lower than your typical slew of commercially available 4X10 bass guitar speaker cabinets at roughly the same physical dimensions.

11. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    SVP,I don't know what the cab volume is, but two years ago i build a cab with the K15LF with the help from Bgavin.
    The cab have a netto volume of 102,5 ltr it's made from 18mm plywood and no bracing, i add 4ltr for the volume taken up by the driver, total volume is 104,5 ltr.
    I'm verry pleased with the sound
    That time the 15LF was one of the best series from eminence, but now days the 3015LF is the winner

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, my main man, the speaker specs aren't the whole story. The number of drivers and the cabinet volume play at least as big a role as the speakers themselves. And you're ignoring the part about frequencies above 100 hz. The bottom line is that 15's or 18's by themselves are going to sound like muff in a bass guitar application. If anything, I'm only about 3 percent wrong, leaving you 97 percent more wrong and condescending than me.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes, that's why I said model the T/S specs, a proven way of finding the sub 200Hz response of any speaker in any ported cab.

That's why I said look at the manufacturer's measured plot, which covers the whole of the audible spectrum.

Depends on the 15" and your tonal preferences. And you only need to add a little midrange driver to even the most bass oriented 15" and suddenly you have a cab that does the lows, mids and highs objectively better than a multiple 10" and tweeter cab.

Alex

14. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    My cab volume is 3.2 cubic feet with 2 4inch ports.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I think this is the most valid point

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    How long are those ports?

17. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    Got to go with Bill on this .

18. that cab is probably not tuned correctly, could be muddy/boomy. add/subtract some length to those ports or stuff one of them. winISD is excellent for these calculations and response graphs. also note that the whole 15 vs. 10 is getting old. everyone knows 15s are the way to go for a complete rounded sound, duh.

i have an old peavey 215 (2.7 cu.ft. per driver) stuffed with kappalite 3015s and it sounds killer. i put them in two DIY cabs (3.3 cu.ft. per driver) tuned around 45Hz and it sounded very muddy and boomy.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmmm ... add a midrange driver ... I wish I had thought of that. Maybe a horn while we're at it?

20. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    you could add a 10 or 4, and assuming you remove that pesky 15 youd be in business right munji?