Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can Carvins compare.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, May 28, 2005.

1. To a Fender P or a J. How about a Stingray or a Sterling. And how about a G and L 1000 of 2000? I'm wondering about feel, tone craftmanship. I dont think tey are parrticularly nice looking especially with the sharp shaped upper horn.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have played a couple Carvins, and I own a fretless 6 string. It plays as well as anything else I've had - Ken Smith, Warwick, Modulus for example. The build quality, fiinish and attention to detail are excellent. Again, on par with the previous mentioned basses. The neck is smooth and fast, the body is georgous, nice hardware.

The weakness - to me - is electronics. I stayed with the Carvin stuff for a while but my tastes have changed. I find I prefer Bartolini pups and preamp like I had in my Modulus and Lakland. I replaced the Carvin pups and preamp with Bartolini and now she really sings.

You can find great deals on used Carvins.

3. where can I find great deals on used Carvins?

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    e bay. I picked up my LB 75 for a price that would be considered criminal, it was that low. Used Carvins are amazing for the money. I have had a lot of different basses - Music Man, Spectors, Ricks, Fenders - Carvin is no less than equal, and in many ways superior to those basses.