Can circuit breaker cable extend batery life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gilsonite, Dec 26, 2003.

1. I was wondering if these new Planet Waves circuit
    breaker cables can preserve battery life when the
    breaker in engaged.
    According to thier website the breaker engaged creates a short and removing the tip out of the
    simple circuit.

Any takers?:confused:
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Booooo. No worky.

Whenever there is something in the jack there is battery loss to the best of my knowledge. Those cables look borderline retarded as well. I have enough stuff to worry about without having cables with easily nudged buttoms on them.
  3. Are batteries really that big of a problem? I change my battery maybe once a year. I do leave it in passive mode a lot of times but even still, I wouldn't imagine anyone having to change batteries more than 3 or 4 times a year.
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Nope. Basses that use the input jack as a "power switch" for active electronics do so by establishing a connection across the sleeve of the male plug - the tip is not involved in the switch function. As long as there is a plug in the jack, the circuit is on. Just unplug the bass when you're not playing.
  5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Right on! The sleeve of the male plug completes the ground for the battery and the pre-amp is powered up.
  6. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Now I havent seen those planet waves cables, but It seems to me that if you used a balanced plug, and then had a switch that would short the ring and sleeve it would work. Or you could just not worry about it and change the battery once or twice a year.
  7. Removing the cable works 100% all of the time. Cost : $0.00.

I also have a story. I always unplug my bass(es) at our practice location. It's our drummer's basement....very good sized and well setup. Well, he will sometimes have friends over etc...and one of em played my bass for little bit I guess. When he got done playing it, he unplugged the end of the cable that goes into my tuner pedal. Leaving the bass in. I have no idea what this guy was doing playing with my stuff....or what he was thinking. Just amazing. Unplugged the other end instead, brilliance.