1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can EMG pups be used with Bart pre

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Riley R, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Ok I finished my first two basses Bart pre upgrade. They sound amazing. and now I am on the third which has EMG Pups and an Aguilar OBP-1 which I am taking out(taken out). I wired the pups to the pre but the volume is really low. Are all EMG's other than the Hz series active? Would this be the problem of why the volume is so low, or would they even work if they were active and not directly connected to a battery. I know barts are made for passive pickups, but I don't know if the EMG's are active. They have a red + wire and a white with a shielding or bare wire around it.

2. Essentially, you can use any pick up with any pre-amp.
    Yes, all EMG's are active other than HZ (and Select I think). What you're describing with the wires of your pickup is an active EMG and MUST be connected to the battery.
    The red wire is battery+, white is signal and the braided bare wire is ground. Good luck with it.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm in the throws of doing the same experimenting.
    Brian at Bestbassgear told me that to use the Bart pre
    with EMG's, you need to use 25K volume and blend pots.
    It should work.
    What do you not like about the EMG/OBP-1 combo?

4. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Thinking about doing the same thing. One question are the EMG's more or less compressed sounding than Barts? I'm looking for something that will cut through the mix a little better but not super hi-fi sounding.

type-55

5. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA

It sounds amazing don't get me wrong, coupled with an amazing bass my streamer stage II but I am looking for more mid control. the OBP-1 only has bass and treble boost, which is cool but I want to upgrade. I think I'm just gonna take the emg's out to and couple the bart pre with some bart jazz pickups, seems the easiest to me