Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can EMGs running at 18v run at 9v?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tekhna, Mar 8, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am assuming you do, since I just soldered in my pickup and all that, and I have only 1 9v, and getting no sound.

thanks

Ben

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yes, you can, I do a bit here and there. Something's wrong with your wiring, or the battery is dead.

Ray

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, what bhb said

4. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Well that is annoying. In theory this was 3 solder joints, and somehow didn't work out. Have to test it all later.

5. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Ok, I knew that quick-clip thing was going to be a problem. It had come undone. But now I have some kind of grounding problem. I get intermitent sound, but a clicking when I touch the strings or pickups. Does the bridge ground need to be connected in this circuit? Should I solder it to the ground on the back of the volume pot?

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yes it needs conneced, preferrably to the bridge ;). Anywhere will technically work though...

Ray

7. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Well, I got it working, sort of.
    Only the EA coil side works, not the DG.
    Any ideaS?

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Pics of the wiring would help more than words... if you're sure it's not the wiring, then he pickup may be bad...

Ray

9. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I can take some pictures of the wiring, but I don't think it is.
    I don't know how it would be.
    http://www.emgpickups.comm/downloads/wiringdiagrams/PJ_models.pdf
    That is the schematic, and as far as I can tell based on that, there is no way one coil can be disabled, unless this is a side effect of only having one battery in or something. But the EA side definetely works, but seems to maybe have a low output.
    What makes this curious is the EA side hooks up to the DG side, and then to the controls.

10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Nope......active EMG's do not use a bridge ground.

If you wired in both battery plugs for an 18 volt system, you must have two batteries in there to complete the circuit. Othewise you've got an open connection between the + and - terminals of one of the battery plugs. To run the system on 1 battery, you could jump across the terminals of the unused plug with a wire to complete the circuit, thus running the system on 9 volts.

I don't know offhand how you would have the EA pickup working but not the DG - perhaps you have the plugs on the back of the pickup arranged incorrectly?

PS - the link to EMG in your post has 2 "m"'s in emg.com - it no worky.