1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can Epiphone EB3s be good basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingray19, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Stingray19

Stingray19

Oct 23, 2009
    I've heard all of the stories about it being muddy, or not versatile, but if you had, say, a 100 watt amp, could it sound ok, or would you need to replace the mudbucker with a Dimarzio Model One??

I'm just wondering, because I think the Eb3 looks very.....RAWK!!:D

2. I had one of the older models that went for $469 back in '02; loved the look, but the bridge pulled out, the tone controls had no range, and the selector knob was constantly falling off. I imagine that the hipshot bridge replacement and a good Gibson pickup would work well, as the mahogany body was nice and the neck well made. The infamous neck-dive was there but correctable with a good strap. Others have had the issues listed above and fixed them, but the sound was very limting to me.

3. Gary_RP

Gary_RP

Nov 2, 2008
    I own one and the above poster is correct, they have issues. The blind nuts securing the bridge will eventually pull out, and the electronics are at best 'meh'. Consider the investment and work you will have to do to correct or upgrade parts.

It may look cool, but there is always going to be something you need to fix or fiddle with. I rarely play mine anymore for that reason. I would pass on it unless you simply can't live without it.

G

4. buy a neck and body from warmoth, then gets some nice pickups and electronics and you have the best of both worlds.