Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Eric Clapton sing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Sort of

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Carrotsnstuff

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Well? Can he?

2. Hmmm...
    I have <small>been listening to a variety of EC albums</small> from old (the beano) to newish (Riding with the King)...and I am still, fater 30 years, not convinced.

3. I've only heard him sing on Cream's greatest hits album. I was also unconvinced that he could. Some of his vocals were really bad. But hey, his guitar skills are above criticism, so you have to give the guy a break.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    tears in heaven

5. I'll go along with that.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Until his Unplugged album, his singing varried from bad to 'please don't ever sing again'. Lately, his material better suits his voice, and he has also learned how to sing within his vocal range.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Compared to whom?

Can Bob Dylan sing?

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Clapton sings better than I can.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He has that non-singer voice that works in some cases, e.g. Tears in Heaven, sometimes not.
    Similar to (early) Sting, which I personally like more, though.

10. Yes.

11. Yes, and better than Bob Dylan, in my opinion.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Anyone can sing. Whether they can sing good or not is another story. ;)

13. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    he can sing okay. But it doesn't matter, because he's a great musician anyway.

14. Hint

Hint

Nov 20, 2001
    The Loony Bin.
    i second that.

15. His singing doesn't grate my nerves like Bob Dylan. He is a fabulous geetar player, and a mediocre singer.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Everyone can sing, it's just some people, myself included, suck at it.

Have you heard Clapton on that one hit, "Seems like this thread'll be movin' over to Miscellaneous (B.T. Remix)"

17. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I think that "Journeyman" has some pretty good vocals, some expressive ballads, some tough blues
    numbers, etc.

But like a major-league pitcher, he's not paid to hit!:D

18. By what standards are you judging him? His vocal range and how long he can hold a note, or the emotion he puts into a song?
    In my opinion, Clapton is a distinct singer, which makes him a good one. And have a listen to Layla unplugged.

Bob Dylan does not have a good singing voice, but he is my all time favorite singer. No one can put the meaning into his songs like Bob, and no one lese comes close to even sounding like him.
    There are more important things then having a good voice.
    Jim

19. I've always liked his voice.

20. I love to sing, ever since I had an audition that they made me sing lead for 2 songs. Now they created a monster.:D

Oh and yes I think EC can sing.