1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can finally get a replacement! Which one? (from Rondo)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Well as some of you know, a few weeks ago my remaining beater bass got trashed by the antics of my cats. I appreciated all the offers to drop some money into a paypal account or loan a bass (though I lived way too far away to pick up any of them :smug: ), but I've managed to pay down a credit card enough to afford a cheap-o 5er from Rondo until I can get something a little nicer... though, honestly, I've had nothing but decent success with most of the stuff I've bought from Rondo anyway.

I'm looking at these 3 basses in particular and need some opinions or reviews from people who maybe have played or owned them.

http://www.rondomusic.com/eb6105trgr.html

Pros: Pretty light weight, which would be nice

It's green, and I like green

It's passive and I typically prefer passive

Cons:

I've never played a Hadean bass, so I know nothing about them - are they the same quality as the SX or Brice basses?

That bridge looks a little cheap, but meh - they are easily replaced in the future, if so desired.

I've heard basswood can be a little soft and have some problems with strap locks coming out or denting.

The one review I could find on these forums said it was a decent bass but the neck was "flimsy". I'm not sure exactly what that means - does it mean it needs a lot of adjustments? That it's thin like an Ibanez neck? That the b-string is "meh"? :meh:

Next up:

http://www.rondomusic.com/eb9705nm.html

Pros:

Ash body wood.

Neck-thru, usually means good sustain

Nice looking - though the one review I found on this bass on the forums said it was pretty much raw wood. Which could be cool, but I'm wondering if the neck is going to need a wax down because of that.

Cons:

A bit heavier than the other one

Same cheap bridge

Active - not exactly a "con" but will require batteries now and then, and might be harder to dial in a tone I like

Again, never tried this bass brand so curious about them.

And finally:

http://www.rondomusic.com/web825na.html

Pros:

Light weight and made of ash

5 bolt neck, bit more stability perhaps

Slightly better bridge design

Cons:

Not exactly digging the looks of it with that body shape or gold hardware

My husband tried a Douglas guitar and returned it because he said it felt like a toy (he loves his Agile 7 string, though, and really liked the Brice 5'ers I've had in the past, so he's not anti-Rondo/SX/etc ). Wondering if the basses are a little better quality?

Active, once again.

So. Opinions for my cheap-o NBD bass? I'm pretty excited, even if it's just bargain deal basses I can afford at the moment... it'll be nice to have one to mess around on again. I was pretty bummed about what happened with the other. I could really use some input from anyone who has tried these particular brands/models out.

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    BUMP

I'm interested to see if anyone has used these basses either. They look AWESOME and even if they sound cruddy, a quick pickup or electronics change would fix that easily. Definitely a modders dream, I'd mistake those for Warwicks or Spectors any day if I couldn't see the headstock.

....wish they did that Sculptor in a 4-string version though :/

3. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Yeah they are definitely sharp looking and probably fairly easy to mod up into something really decent, so long as the necks are stable and without major issues.

4. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    It sounds like the first one is the one for you.

5. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
  6. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    The bass in the previous post is one I desperately wish they would sell in a 4-string configuration. I would have had at least one and maybe two of them by now. I could get the ash one with the pearl blocks, and replace it with the black block maple neck, but why should I have to invest more money into it when they could just as easily offer it that way in the first place? Why do they offer that configuration ONLY in a 5-string?

It looks just like the Fender AVRI '75 Jazz I just sold! (sigh!)

7. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I went with the first one, the light weight and passive humbuckers kind of decided me. To the previous posters about the SX Jazz - I've had a few SX Jazz basses and they are a little on the heavy side for me (bad back, made worse by pregnancy/having a kiddo recently). They are definitely nice basses but I need something I can actually stand and play for more than 15 minutes at a time.

So when I get the new bass via UPS I'll take some pics and do a little quick review in case anyone else is thinking of getting one :) hopefully it will be a lot of bang for the buck like most of the stuff on the Rondo site is.