Can G&L Tributes take a beating ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassplyr, Apr 16, 2004.

1. After finally having a chance to play a few Tributes at a local shop I did not know existed, and doing some research here; I have come to the conclusion that they are indeed as nice as i thought as well as a great buy for the money. My question is though, can they take a beating? I have a tendency to play hard and sometimes things get bumped into and what-not, is the finish tough or whimpy ?
    Do the tuners hold well ?
    Are the pup's, pots and switches durable ?
    These will be the last basses I buy for a while, so I want something that will stand up to the test of time.
  2. I have not seen/played a Tribute yet but if they are anything like the USA models then I'd say yes.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I know Reasonbass has one.

I played it and it felt pretty damn good. Not far from my US G&L.

I wouldnt be too scared about hurting one. It felt solid.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah the US line and the Import line are made like tanks i wouldent worry about it.
  5. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I certify G&L Tributes:beatable. My SB-2 is SOLID.
  6. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    This is a question I've never understood; Why would someone deliberatly abuse and disrespect an instrument by either perpously pounding or throwing it against something (floor, walls, other instruments)? I mean just because you may play dark, thrash, metal or some sort of alternative stuff, does the audience and the rest of the band expect a guy to tear his stuff up at every show? If we need to break our stuff to get a positive reacton from the crowd I say someone is SERIOUSLY lacking in the musicianship department!!
    I'm up to 19 basses that I've collected since 1980 and I have yet to come accross a situation that calls for me to distroy any of my tools.
    Help me understand.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It might be a question of where and tear but i understand your question of dileberatly destroying a bass.
  8. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I hear you, normal wear and tear are normal and can be taken care of with periodic maintainance like a car, etc.
    I think the guy is looking for a bass that will take straight out abuse. Kind of an odd and offensive question to those of us who buy basses for their intended purpous - to make real music! The G&L Tribute being asked about is a professonal, beautiful instrument that is not deserving of being "beat".
    I suggest dude goes out and finds a $50 Hondo.
  9. Sigh - did I say i abuse my instruments, no I did not. I did say that i play hard and by this I mean that I may dig deep or slap a little more forcefully than what is common. I also stated that things sometimes get bumped into i.e. mic stands, amps, drums, a guitar player or two, etc. it happens, if it has never happened to you well i suppose you are just lucky.
    I do apologize for not going into greater detail on my initial post, I should have taken into consideration someone elses concern for MY equipment that MY money purchased and/or MY way of playing...
    If I was to follow along with some peoples method of reason I suppose I would think that Jaco was "SERIOUSLY lacking in the musicianship department", because his bass had scratches and dings on it.
  10. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    My question is though, can they take a beating?

This is a direct quote from your original post.

In all my 24 years of playing, teaching, buying and selling basses, I have never heard anyone ask such a question.

A reasonable person reading this would assume that you are looking for a bass to abuse... and that would be wrong.

Lastly, Jaco never abused his instrument. Vintage Fenders came with a very delicate nitro cellulose finish. I have yet to see a vintage players instrument without scratches or dings. This is called normal wear. Had Jaco "beat" his instrument it would not have lasted him his entire career.
  11. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I seem to remember something about him throwing his bass into a the ocean or a lake or something in Japan :meh: Also I think he would at times throw his instrument into the air(like 10 feet) and catch it, and I know for a fact that he did not play one instrument for the entirety of his career. His Vintage fender was not really all that vintage at the time, and nitro finishes are still common today. Please don't take this as an attack, but I think you are mistaken in your statement that he never abused his instrument.
  12. And we all know what assuming does....
    But, I will just shut up about it. What started out as a simple question reguarding the road-worthiness of a particular instrument has turned into a debate concerning ethics and whether or not I used the correct "language" to get my point across.
    And, to hopefully ensure no one misinterprets me again, by road-worthiness I do not mean that i intend to throw the bass against a road, cover it in asphalt, mount it on the bumper of my car to protect me from a possible collision, or attach wheels and a seat to it so I can drive it on an interstate.
  13. Wrong...right...who cares? What right do any of us have to lambast him for the manner in which he chooses to enjoy his posessions? (as long as it harms no one else, other than himself). Once he buys it, it is his instrument to use - whether he wants to baby it or bash it. It's not like he's talking about buying Jamerson's Funk Machine and planning to pull off his best Sid Vicsious impersonation with it.

Besides, I didn't get nearly the impression that you did from his initial post. After reading it, I simply understood him to be asking if the instrument is one that will survive a good deal of normal wear & tear - the sort you'd expect to see during a tour without the luxury of roadies. A durable, well made instrument is important to me as well, as I am naturally the clumsy sort of person that ends up bumping into door frames, walls, drum gear, etc.
  14. Won't be the first time you'll notice this :meh: :(
  15. It would hurt you, before you hurt it.
  16. It's becomming a very painful lesson that almost tempts me to not post at all.
    Maybe someone should start an organization called P.E.T.O.P.S - People for the Ethical Treatment of Other Peoples Stuff...
    P.S. My thanks to those of you that actually answered my question, you have helped me make up my mind.
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Part of musical performance and giging is seeing the band.

In some kinds of music it adds to the vibe and atmosphere for a band to be running, jumping, thrashing around, headbanging and things like that so thats what tha band does. Just like you might find your self tapping your foot or bobbing your head while listening to jazz or something like that, sometimes hard rock musicians find themselves compelled to dance in other ways.

Point being, no one wants to go onstage and force themself to stand still while playing very energetic music, but at the same time they dont want to do their thing and find a dead instrument in his or her hands because of an accidental colision with a guitarist or speaker.

When people play stuff happens. When people play agressively, more stuff happens.

He just wants to be prepared for more stuff.

PS: Dont worry Reasonbass, I mean your bass no harm!
  18. lol, I know. :D
  19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Dude, all due respect but Jaco beat his bass. Word on the street is that he didn't even have a case for it in the later years. This is from folks that knew him personally, not folklore. He was also totally deranged and living in a treehouse, but we can visit that one in an off topic thread if you'd like.

Also, why are you so bothered by another tb'ers propensity to play hard on his gear? He asked a valid question and truth be known, as much as I pamper my instruments I would probably use similary terminology if I were inquiring about a bass' roadworthiness. We get on these boards to learn from one another and share the interst of playing bass. Jumping all over the guy for trying to determine the durability of a bass is disrespectful and shows a great deal of immaturity and insecurity, IMO. Live and let live, my man.
  20. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Look guys, the poster wrote what he wrote and I read what I read OK, don't try to make me look like a fool because he chose to use poor language to ask a question about "road wortyness" (what ever!).
    There is a huge difference between "roadworthy" and "Beat".
    Road wortyness is taking your instrument out of its case, playing it in a respectful manner, wipeing it down and returning it to its case night after night. This coupled with a bit of periodic maintainance is what makes ANY instrument roadworthy. Why do you think some people play delicate 300 year old Stratavarious instruments in symphonic concert halls 200 nights a year, because they are tough instruments? No, because they are WELL taken care of.
    I repeat, for those of us who have a true passion and respect for the bass and who have worked long and hard at things like technique, scales, modes, chart reading, etc. should take a negetive approach to the question of "... can it take a BEATING! That does personaly offend me; that tells me a guy is looking for an instrument to abuse, to use outside of its intended purpose. There is nothing entertaining about seeing a guy abusing an instrument I happen to respect! Do you think Yoyo Ma would enjoy watching a guy BEAT a cello? How about Miles Davis watching a guy pound a trumpet? I don't think so!
    I suggest he chooses his words a bit more carefully and tactfully next time.

Lastly, Jaco may have thrown his bass in a lake, etc. however I'm sure he didn't sell tickets nor was it part of a show. The man was a tormented genius who did lots of irrational things toward the end (lived in a local park, wore war paint in public, taped the knees of his pants with duct tape, crashed others gigs) all resulting in the loss of his life - saddly he was sick.

Deep down I think most TB'rs feel me on this one.