1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can G&L Tributes take a beating ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassplyr, Apr 16, 2004.

1. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I used to own an L2500 and I believe the construction is about the same on the Tribute line. They are definitely sturdy enough for gigging, however, you don't want to be bumping those mini toggle switches too much, that will eventually cause you problems.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    AGAIN:

(To my knowledge)

He does not intend to beat the bass!

He is probably in a band with a dynamic stage show and accidents are prone to happen.

Peace
    Nick

3. Sigh (again),
    Fine, what ever. My question was answered by some wonderful people that somehow managed to muddle through my highly illiterate post and decipher my intent. Not that it served any purpose mind you, I am obviously not fit to handle a musical instrument so I suppose I will just give it up and stop thinking for myself or trying to be any sort of an individual at all. The judgement that led to this decision came from someone that would not know me from adam, has never heard or observed me play and is obviously a leading authority on the critical analysis of postings in a public forum...so he must be right.

NOT!!!
    Now i have a renewed interest in flipping the bird to the local Focus on the Family office when I drive by.
    Have a nice day.

4. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hee... :p

KenToby, Just to let you know... I am pretty nice to my guitars, but Jesus Christo! They are made to be played. If you have never incurred damage to your bass from a gig, you must not be playing the bars I do... Hell If I walk away with only a few beer stains on my amp and less than two nicks on my bass, I count myself lucky. You use the right tool for the job, and a G&L is a sturdy bass that can handle the rigors of pub rock. I'll bet you that that guy who babies his million dollar Stradivarious during his orchestra gig uses a "beater" violin during his bluegrass bar gig... ;)

Respectfully,
    Chris

5. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I've played a steady bar gig for two weekends a month for the last 3 years and my Sterling, Smith, etc. are still virtualy flawless. Again, why would you let a glass of beer within 10 feet of your amp? Yea, I've had a bass or two fall before but this whole concept of deliberatly putting an instrument into harms way is soooo foreign to me. I guess I'm a different breed. I'll never understand...

6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I don't think the intention of the origional poster was to intentionally put the instrument in harms way, but rather if the instrument was sturdy enough to be performed with without constantly worrying about destroying the instrument. To put it another way; sturdy enough to allow the player to have fun with(and I don't mean ala Jimi Hendrix). In reality your instrument is in harms way where ever it is, at home in it's case. Stuff can happen to it. And to think you actually take it out of the case and play it :eek: might as well just light it on fire :D :D :meh: :bawl:

please not that I am not being totally serious here no offense intended to anyone.

7. to each his own i guess. I play in a band with a pretty explosive stage show and somtimes jumping around and rockin out you bump into mic stands, other band members, instruments get dinged up. I know for a fact that half the people come to see us because we take those chances, jump around AND play great music. we sell tickets because people want to hear music and see a SHOW! we're entertainers after being musicians right? that and the fact that it's next to impossible for me to just stand there when i'm playing. and yes, the beer is close by (and water too)..... go for the G&L crazybassplyr you won't be disappointed...

8. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    [Chris tells himself] Momma always said "if you don't have anything nice to say..." [/Chris tells himself]

You may be a real nice guy in person, but you are coming across as a condescending jerk.

If by deliberately putting an instrument into harms way, you mean performing in front of loud drunk people who spill beer a lot, then... Yeah I deliberately put by instrument in harms way. Guess what... My priority is the music and making the audience dance and have a good time. If they splash beer onto my cab, or knock a mic stand into my bass and leave a chip (it's happened), I am not going to have a heart attack.

The soul of your instrument comes from YOU, not the intstrument itself. Without the artist an instrument is nothing but an inanimate object.

9. Offensive? :confused:

Being politically correct is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous. I mean we┬┤re talking about basses here, not religious beliefs or such... :rolleyes:

10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    KT, you take this subject and yourself way too seriously. So laughable are your diatribes about respect of music that I hesitate to lend them credence by pointing out that no respectful human being, let alone musician, would compare an electric bass to a stradavarious.

I'd go on, but I think I want go home and wipe my bass now. Check it.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What kind of a bar?

Where do you play that you can play that often without having a drunk knock a mic stand down on your bass?

Where do you play where you can be 10 feet away from a beer?

Is a place like that even considered a bar?

Peace
    Nick

12. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    You may be a real nice guy in person, but you are coming across as a condescending jerk.

If by deliberately putting an instrument into harms way, you mean performing in front of loud drunk people who spill beer a lot, then... Yeah I deliberately put by instrument in harms way. Guess what... My priority is the music and making the audience dance and have a good time. If they splash beer onto my cab, or knock a mic stand into my bass and leave a chip (it's happened), I am not going to have a heart attack.

The soul of your instrument comes from YOU, not the intstrument itself. Without the artist an instrument is nothing but an inanimate object.

Evidently our values are miles apart. In my opinion I'm an outstanding player and entertainer AND I have very nice stuff that will stay nice. Sounds like a alien concept to most posting here however in the circles I run in, this is the expected norm. Must be the style of music or somthing. Ever been to a REAL show with real musicians? I'm not talking about some tatoo contest, insane, rave distortion fest. I'm talking guys who can play. I saw Victor Wooten and his brothers not to long ago and I also saw the "Groov'in for Grover" tour (salute to Grover Washington Jr concert with Gerald Albright, Jeff Lorber, Gerald Veasly, etc., etc.) and they put on a fantastic show that was HIGHLY entertaining - the music did all the talking. Even with people drinking beer, wine, cocktails guess what, they had nice stuff at the end of the show! Wow imagine that!

Seriously, I was 5 feet away from Victor, what do you think he would have done if some fool had spilled beer on his stuff or crashed a mic stand down onto one of his many $8000 Foderas; The show would have been over and I don't blame him.
    I don't get paid enough at my gigs to simply brush off a chip in my guitar and I bet you don't either.

You now exactly what I'm talking about.

13. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings
    It's starting to sound like a bit of difference in life's trappings and mode of style are creating a rift. Ease up. There exist enjoyment in all of our differences and some people will never get what or why you're havin a good time. You can try to splain....clunk em or hug em, play them and smile people.
    Happy Times
    Rezdog

14. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Sorry for jumping on this thread without total understanding of the context-at hand...

Point #1. When the nuclear holocaust comes, the cockroaches and my USA G&L L-2000 will rise up and assume control. My 2000 is SOLID and has the most ding-resistant maple neck I've ever encountered. My Yamahas (which I devotedly love) have considerably "softer" necks and more easily pick up string and cable-end marks over time.

Point #2. Most of the "abuse" that my basses have endured have been not by my hand but those of others. Often have I set by bass on a stand in-between sets and returned from the mens' room to see it face-down on the dance floor, or worse yet, covered with ranch dressing. The stages I play on are TINY and my band has a large footprint, so there's always a risk assumed whenever my bass comes off my shoulder.

15. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    In a word... yes. :D

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    KenToby will keep his basses looking great & playing great music.

crazybassplyr will not keep his basses looking great & play great music.

End of discussion.

17. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Do you have ANY idea how pompous you sound? :confused:

I don't like it when I get a ding on my instruments, but I also realize that there is no point in anthropomorphizing them. It's probably why I play G&Ls and not some piece of sculpture costing many thousand dollars. I'd rather play my music and not worry about what ranch dressing (apologies to danroche) will do to the delicate unobtainium finish on my too nice to play instrument.

18. Ditto

19. crazybassplyr, "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Your signature line says it all dude............

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Why do you have to insist that you and your music is somehow superior.

Different people are into different things and that makes them ...... different!

Get over yourself and just realize that while your crowd might stand, sit, or dance in such a way that you are not worried about beer spill or mic stands, a lot of us prefer the crowd that will put those dangers in our way.

You are happy doing your thing and we are happy doing ours.

Personally I would not have been all that entertained watching Vic. He's a great bassist but thats not what I like.

You might not consider the music you dont understand real music, but keep in mind that to many people it is a passionate expression of whats inside them. Please respect that.

Just so its said one more time, get over yourself.

Peace
    Nick