Can GK's be punchy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 23, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I recently got back from my trip to the bass centre, and i played a josh Paul Cort/Elrick 5er through a GK Backline250 and a 400RB. It was through a GK cab aswell, and no matter what knobs i turned, i couldnt get that punch sound out of it. it had an amazing clean sound, but it felt like it had no ballsy slap sound.

Is this just a con about GK or with a bit more playing can you get a good punch outta them?

Im really thinking about Gk as my next (and first) 4x10 and head purchase, and with the type of music im playing, i need that ballsy slap sound.
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You say you tried the 400rb, well that head is only 125w at 8 ohms and while it is a good head for some things a ballsy slap is not one of them . It's not anough power and two clean soundind to be ballsy. Try the 700RB or the 1001RB, they have all the balls you will need.
  3. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    thanks man, that probably explains alot.
  4. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i dunno man, plug a stingray in there and tell me it aint ballsy.. bring the load to 4ohms too, so your atleast runnin around 200watts and tell me you cant make a 400rb ballsy... i still wont believe you.

the 400rb sounds just like the 800rb but with less power, and we all know someone who played thru 800rb's exclusively for several years, i'd have to say Flea's tone was ballsy.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The rb400 is a good little head but weak, I own one and just finding out I need more power. I need a rb1000 or simular head I think you will find if you used a more powerfull head the punch will be there.
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I just noticed you played it with a backline cab which is the cheapest cabs they offer. If you went to a gkrb700 or greater head and better cab it would do it, but it's all about the $, your talking about an extra $500.00 if your buying this stuff new.
  7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah i had a feeling that it was rather dumb to make assumptions of the heads considering what cab i played through.

Mabye next time ill have a play through the RBH there :D
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think its a combination of the head and cab, you need enough power to create a punchy sound and you want to have good speakers in a good cab to produce that for you, I found out the hard way and am in process of upgrading my head, which means spending more money.
  9. Two words to describe GK, Loud, Clear.
  10. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Not sure that I agree with that. I've owned 3 400RB's and 2 800's and I've never had a problem getting a nice, dark and dirty, punchy tone from any of them. At first glance, they may seem a little sterile but if you mess around with the Boost, Master and Volume, (along with the 2 mid controls), you can get just about any tone that you like. I've used 400's at 4ohms for years in medium sized gigs and never had any volume probs. I've tried many other heads and have always come back to my trusty GK's.
  11. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    That's odd. I used to own a GK Backline 4x10 it was a decent cab and it sure had its fair shair of punch to it. I'd check the bass or something but seriously that just doesn't seem right saying it doesn't have any balls.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ... gigged for years with my old 400B. Used a pair of JBL 15's which are pretty efficient and punchy themselves. That rig kicked butt for me. Based on recent experience, I'd also be looking at Hartke. The 3500 is a heck of a good amplifier and very available on the used market. Either one of those amps will get louder than you really want to stand next to if they are put through efficient cab's ...
  13. The Backline 410 does not have a tweeter in it which seems to be essential for slap style playing. As far as getting more ballsy, try turning up the countour and boost. Pull the high mid down a bit and boost the bass just a touch. If you want a cleaner sound, bring the boost down and crank the master ouput. Don't go over 12 oclock with the preamp volume or you'll start to get distortion depending on your bass's output level.

Definitly give the SBX cabinets a try.
  14. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You might get the sound that you're looking for by tweaking the tone controls as Daniel suggested. But I'd like to share my experience, I used a 200 watt rms head for years when I was younger, and I was still yearning for that ultimate punch.

I found that I started getting a lot closer to getting the punch that I was looking for once I started buying amps with more power. Something like the 1001rb or other amps that will put out say 400 watts or more into 4ohms will get you there to the punch that you're looking for. Yes, I know it cost more money, but power is a big part of the equation. Naturally, tone settings, speakers, and your bass also will have a bearing on your sound. Try a few high powered amps and you'll see.