1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can GuitarCenter order a bass for you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Hey y'all. I was looking at www.bassgear.com and found this Aria Pro Avante S. bailey fretless 6, and I might order it (and might not on the other hand), but I'd like to try it out first. Would guitar center order the bass for me and have me try it? And if I dont' like it, can I not buy it?
    I emailed guitar center but haven't gotten a reply yet... so, just thought I'd ask everyone here who has experiences with guitar center.
    :D

2. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Hmm... I highly doubt it. It probably costs them money to order it for you so once they get it they will probably be expecting you to buy it.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Probably not. On something like that, it will be hard for them to find someone else to buy it. If you wanted a 4- or 5-string Fender, for example, then they might do it. They could just put it on the wall and it would eventually sell. But something as "esoteric" as a 6-stringer they would have a hard time unloading if you didn't buy it.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you asking Guitar Center to buy it from the guy on Bassgear? I can assure you THAT won't happen.

If you're looking to get them to order a bass, they're gonna expect that you buy it. Sucks, I know. Unless it's something they regularly stock. I was looking for a Marcus Miller 5 String Jazz and got them to order one for me to try, but it's considered a normally stocked instrument, so I won't have to buy.

5. Guitar Center sells basses? I wouldn't have known it having been in 2 of their stores. (I'm being sarcastic of course)

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I asked about a Warwick Thumb. He said he could find one and when I said I definately would want to try it out before committing to it, he sad that was fine and if he didn't sell it to me he'd sell it to someone else so they will go out and buy new ones for you. They will also send out a mass email to all of their stores looking for what you want.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Right, there again...if it's a model or line of bass they normally carry then no problem.
    But for specialty items like a fretless 6 by a brand they don't stock, you'll have to commit to buying it.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I recently went into GC looking to try out a couple of combo amps. One was an Eden and another was an SWR. They didn't have either in-stock.

I asked, "How am I supposed to get my hands on these amps to try them out?".

The guy said, "You can order them both (pay for them with a credit card), and if you don't like them, you don't have to keep them."

I said, "No thanks. Have a nice day."

Joe

PS. I did order my Yamaha TRB1006 from GC with every intention of purchasing it. I was told that I wouldn't have to buy it if I didn't like it. I was told that they would "work something out". I think it depends on the sales person you're dealing with. :meh:

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    What makes you want to get the Aria Pro fretless bass? Have you considered any other fretless 6 string basses?

You could try the Carvin LB76F.

Joe

10. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Guitar Center WILL order basses for you. All you have to do is show them a price, which they'll match, and then they will order from the manufacturer. I had them order my Yamaha BB415 at another company's price. They even let me use my GC credit card. As for used gear and stuff being sold by one person, that's not likely.

I also wanted GC to order the bass and let me try it out. They said if I put 25% of the price down on it they'd order it and if I didn't like it, I'd get my money back. I doubt they'll order from a classifieds but it's worth asking.

11. Ok say GC agrees to order the bass for me from this guy on www.bassgear.com and let's say the guy was a scammer, and GC paid him but he never sent the bass, then would I have to file mail fraud and all those process and go through such troubles?

12. It's not going to happen.

Not now. Not ever.

13. why dont you call and ask.

14. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Wait, your gonna ask a shop to order a used bass from a PERSON, so you can try it? I have no idea how stuff works there though..

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Guitar Center will not buy from a 3rd party on the feeling that you MIGHT buy it. You will have to buy from the private party. Guitar Center will order a NEW instrument for you, from the MANUFACTURER.

16. But do you think Aria Guitars still makes those Steve Bailey fretless 6's?

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As far as I know they do not. Even then, it wouldn't do you any good as Guitar Center is not an Aria dealer and will not be able to get the gear new.

18. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I've asked at two GCs and got two different answers, so I think it might depend on who you talk to and how he feels that day. He wants to make you happy, and he also wants to make a profit. I think you'd need to talk to the boss.

The word I got was, if they thought they could move it if you didn't like it, they might take a chance on it. Most people like most things they play, and most people who make special orders tend to be happy with them. But they won't buy used instruments from private parties either.

There might also be some restrictions on what a GC can order new. Some manufacturers (I was told) given exclusive rights to GC's competitor across the street.

19. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    GC can not order Trabens. I highly suspect it's because Sam Ash sells them exclusively :)