1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can half rounds be shortened successfully

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tymbrewolf, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Will try this one more time. Can half rounds be shortened successfully?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No. But you may be able to use longer ones than the bass needs. It’s not ideal. What exactly are you trying to do?

3. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Half rounds for 22 to 25 inch scale acoustic and solid body.

4. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    I figured since rounds can easily be shortened and grounds are rounds that are subsequently ground, that crimping, sharp bend and cutting would work. Just short on play money. Also curious about them in guitar octave ranges for the same reasons.

5. Yes you can. I use D'Addario half rounds on my Hofner Beatle Bass. I could never find any short scale strings, so I cut down long scale. The only issue I had was having to fit a fatter part of the string through the tuning peg on the headstock. Just be careful once the string is cut, because if you don't take care the string can unravel... and don't cut them too short, you can't put it back together!

6. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Thanks

7. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Now I just need to find someone with some used ones for me to test as I think I will have to make A custom set for my purposes.

8. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I'm confused why some people say you can't cut a bass string.
    Why not? The string makes contact at the nut. Beyond that you're just putting a few winds around
    the tuner and trimming to taste.

Is there some voodoo going on ?

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Cutting a wound string in the part that's meant to be played (the "speaking part") can be problematic. Yes, sometimes you can just cut it, and all will be well. Sometimes, though, the outer winding can start to unravel - sometimes right before your eyes - or it can slip loose from the core wire. Or the string will do both... This is why string companies do what they do on the part of the string that's meant to be cut -so it won't do bad things when you cut the string there. You can usually - usually - avoid the potential problem, by putting a sharp bend in the string behind the spot where you want to cut it - before you cut it. Or, you can avoid the problem entirely, by using the correct length strings. Sometimes, though, you can't do that - as in the case of sub-short scale basses. Or if you have to, as an expedient thing; or, I suppose, if it just makes you happy...:cool:

michael_t likes this.