Can heavy basses cut thru the mix more?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJY, May 30, 2001.

1. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    This may seem like an obvious question, but can heavier basses always cut thru the mix better than lighter basses?Assuming that the heavy bass does not have a choked sound,that is.Anyone has or come across a light bass that cuts?
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I've heard light-bodied basses that sound like crap, and heard some that sound great. Wood is a big factor in the way a bass sounds, but different types of pickups, eq settings, and strings can also enhance (or detract) from the way you sound on tape as well. I am not an expert on woods, but generally, lighter woods give you a brighter sound. You might want to do a search under "Setup", some of these guys are geniuses and there are several discussions on different wood types and their effect on sound. LOL!
  3. Yes, lighter basses can cut though.
    I have 15 basses and apart from the Dano Longhorn, the two that cut through the best are my lightest, and both at extreme ends of the market.
    A Sadowky standard that weighs in at 7.5 pounds and a Fender P Lyte that weighs 7 pounds. (both active) A lot also may have to do with amplification, but I have found the two basses mentioned do cut more in a loud live situation with my 350w and 500w set-ups than any other bass I have used.

My 9 pound Jazz is a great instrument, but the hardest one to hear on stage.

Carol Kaye uses a P Lyte exclusively and mentioned on her forum that she didn’t think heavy basses were a must for cutting though the mix.

Hope this helps.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a tobias that weighs nothing. Swamp ash body. It has tons of bottom end and plenty of bright cut, depending on the settings. I am not sure there is any correlation between weight and performance. I think it has as much to do with the tone circuit and the amplification as anything.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's not in the's in the mix!
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    All things being equal, I generally think denser, heavier woods provide a brighter tone; the best example I can think of being the all-maple Spectors I've tried.

I had a very light swamp ash instrument that had a cutting tone, but I think that was because of the hot EQ rather than the wood.