1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I achieve a real punchy mids tone with my orange AD200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blade3dge, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    So my current amp head of choice is my AD200B MKIII which I am absolutely in love with, not just from a tone perspective but from a design perspective, I love how simple it's EQ is. Once you start putting pedals in front of amps and playing with an active bass you end up feeling overwhelmed with choice on most modern amps which are just covered in options, the simplicity of the Orange really appeals to me, but what I wasn't prepared for was how difficult it would be to dial in some real punchy mids, which sucks because I have fallen completely in love with this tone:

At the moment I'm using a fender active P/Musicman stingray > AD200B > Mesa 1516B.

I really wanna look into getting some Darkglass pedals to put in front of my amp to try and achieve a tone similar to this but before I go down that road I'm a little concerned that my Orange may scoop my mids too much to come anywhere near to this tone so I really wanted to know what you guys think? Do you think I'll get enough tone shaping before my amp to get towards a tone like this or is it not going to be possible without swapping out some of my rig?

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Modeling the orange tone stack with the duncan calculator it looks like the AD200 mid scoop is centered around 8-900Hz. The darkglass drive pedals have a lower mid scoop (350Hz ish) a bump around 500, and another dip around 800ish from the frequency sweeps I've seen. Getting there with the orange alone might be tricky, ignoring for now that the behavior of an overdriven tube amp versus one of those pedals is pretty different, but I don't think you'd have to worry about the scoop on the orange impacting the pedal too much since they seem to both have a cut in the same region.

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Belive to get rid mid scoop
    Use less bass boost and treble boost.

Leave mid all the way up.
    Like 2 - 10 -2

A very basic cheap multiband eq pedal after any distortion expands it greatly. Be surprised and save your money.

You can hardcut the highs and bring back lows and dial in mean mean midrange

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Depends upon what you mean by punchy mids. The Orange will not do the low mid push of an SVT without some outboard help, but IMHO it can have a rather lively and open mid range if you avoid pumping up the bass too much.

If you need a little more tone shaping consider an EQ pedal.

I suspect the 1516B might be part of the problem as well. I haven't played one, but I would expect it to be voiced pretty aggressively based on the design and user comments. If you need to crank the bass on your Orange to get the tone your want, it's probably going to result in somewhat of a scooped low mid response.

5. WOW! If my amp sounded like that I’d have to repair it!!! :(

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have an AD200 and it is one of my favourite amps. Not sure whether it will do exactly the tone in the video, but do not be afraid to back the bass off and boost the mids right up then boost the treble to taste. It does seem a little more speaker sensitive than other amps I have used, the best combination I have found is with a Bergantino NV215 which coincidentally has a 6" driver for nice clear mids. Also while I only use mine with passive Fenders, my instincts tell me that with an active bass you would want to keep the guitar volume control dialed down to avoid overdriving the gain stage too early - unless you are into a dirty sound (which I am not but of course YMMV).

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Run the AD200B's master volume (MV) wide open for max clean headroom. I plug my Yamaha TRB6P into the passive input and have no problem keeping the preamp clean, but it's not a super hot bass.

The signal path is: Input, V1a, gain control, V1b, tone control network/master volume, PI (V2).

If the bass is too hot for the passive input it will overload V1a. If the preamp distorts with the gain almost off, and this is not your goal, use the active input so you are not hitting V1a so hard.

If you crank the gain up it will overload V1b. If this is not your goal, reduce the gain and increase the MV.

If you crank up the MV, this will provide maximum gain to the output tubes, so less gain is required in V1 to reach full power.

In my experience, most master volume amps are set up for the MV to be run no higher than about 11 o'clock. Higher settings usually result in excessive noise. Not the case with the AD200B. Running the MV wide open sounds great! Lower settings with a bit of dive in the preamp are also quite nice. YMMV:thumbsup:!

Tim1 likes this.