Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I add a 2x10 to my Fender Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike88T, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Ok two questions about my Combo Amp, it’s a Fender Bass-80 160 watts.
    I’m a bit clueless about how these works and haven’t been able to come up with the right keyword in the “search” feature to answer my questions. I tried looking for a tech manual online at Fender and no luck on my model.
    Ok first question.
    My amp has two speaker outputs on the back; one is where the 15” speaker for the combo plugs in and I assume you can put another speaker into the other one. Am I right in this?
    Second question.
    Since the amp is rated at 160 watts I am assuming that means with just the 15”, it is an EV and I believe it is 8 ohms. Am I right in thinking that if I want to plug in a second cab, say a 2x10 with a horn (tweeter?) that it would have to be rated at 8 ohms? Also would this mean that I am pushing only 80 watts at 4 ohms now?
    I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to electrical stuff so please don’t get too technical in answering.
    Thanks for any info.

2. I guess nobody uses Fender Amps.

3. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    if it is pushing 160 watts at 8ohms it would push about 300 at 4 ohms, so i'm gonna take an educated guess that at 8ohms it is running 80 watts, and at 4 ohms it is running 160. What is the least amount of ohms it can possibly run? if it can only run 8 ohms, i wouldn't add anything.

4. It is rated to 4 Ohms.
    So if I understand what your saying, I could put the 2x10 at 8 ohms and be pushing 80 watts.
    I realize I couldn't push it to it's limits without bad things likely happening, but i would like to upgrade in the future to a power amp and thought this might be an intermediat solution. That way I can use the 2x10 with the power amp later on.

Thanks for the info.

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    More than likely you're only pushing the 8 ohm 15 with 80 watts now, but if you add an 8 ohm 2x10 you'll be pushing 160 watts at 4 ohms. This would actually damage your speakers less, because the 15 will still be receiving 80 watts and your 2x10 will only be getting 80 watts too, which most 2x10s can handle.

dirk