Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I add a cab to a combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by APouncer, Sep 25, 2001.

1. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    This may sound a ridiculous question as I know next to nothing about amps.

I have been gigging with different bands on BG for around 3 years (and on G for a previous 4). I have played gigs with "Indie-Rock" outfits, small vocal restaurant groups, singalong pub groups but mainly with "Acid-Jazz" groups.

For amplification I have always either just gone into the PA and used the monitors, sometimes used big Cabinets if another band had brought one along, sometimes even just used my Fender BXR60 for smaller gigs (yes, even with the drummer) and still don't have to crank it up (we are fairly chilled and quiet).

Problem - the rest of the band want us to start playing louder and are watching bands whose bass-players have a massive solid tone and the impact they make on stage with a loud sound all round (whereas I'm happy being quiet as I think it makes people listen, I concur that when a band hits a first note on stage and your guts wobble, it is impressive). I think my tone isn't like theirs due to my ability, or lack thereof, they reckon it's due to equipment, or lack thereof. I'm wondering if there is a cheap method to boost volume, ie add a cab to the Fender BXR60 and whether you guys think that my lack of massive tone is the equipment not my fingers (my fretting hand and note-knowledge is good due to G for 10 years, I just keep blaming my right (plucking) hand).

Thanks guys.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know that model, but I doubt you can add another cab, and even if you can, it won't give enough power.

You need a major upgrade, I'm afraid.

IMO you need 200-300W minimum and a good cab for sufficient volume and sound onstage.

More later

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Solid state amps will dish out the maximum wattage say 60w into a minimum resistance say 4 ohm. This means that it will be difficult to add another cab. An 8 ohm cab will cause it to run at 2.7 (ish) ohms which means it could damage the amp.

When the maker includes an ext sock it is normally because the internal speakers run at 8ohm and adding a 8 ohm cab will make it run at 4 ohm. So many 300w combos run at about 200w without an extension speaker.

I could have said if it does not have a socket you cannot do it. But I wanted to give an explanation.

I agree with JMX I use a 140w combo for small events and a 220w head with a 4x10 for medium ones. Ironically I have done a football stadium with 60w 1x12 but the stage volume was very quiet.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have a BXR-60, and no you can't run an extension cab with it.

Which is why I bought a Sunn 300T and 2x15:D

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with JMX on this one. As most know, I say "Start at 300 watts and go up." 600 is better, 800 optimal (as in WT-800), and 1,000 if you can get it. That is the pathway to LOUD.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im glad you gave an explanation, because I never knew that.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone about gearing up, but I will addd that one of the reasons I bought my Crate BX-100 was because it has a jack to add another cab. It doesn't give me more volume, but I do push more air.

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Id like to say (i feel like a salesman here) that if youre looking for a good, affordable, and easily upgradeable system check out the carvin RC210 combo... or any other 210 combo for that matter. I just know that the carvin is capable of putting 700 watts bridged into 4 ohms... which is plenty. its also bi-ampable... so your options for adding speakers later are tremendous. I used mine with just its built in pair of 10's for more than a year playing with a loud jazz band, and for a blues combo using both electric and double basses. I would highly reccomend chekcing one of these things out, as they are way less (in price) than the competition. volume is sufficient with the 10's alone... but if you happen to add a 15 or 18 inch woofer and biamp these things... damn. or you can even buy another 210 cab later and have 410s. you could also buy a 410 cab and run a 610 stack. ive seen someone do this and the sound was very nice, and quite punchy. just my 2 cents worth

9. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Thanks guys for all the advice, I'm learning all the time. I spent this weekend in "the bass centre" trying out different amps and I can hear that it does make a difference. I rather liked the Carvins, esp the price.

Have a good week and keep swinging.