1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can i add an external horn to my 1x15 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Apr 16, 2009.

1. i have a peavy max115 combo, its a fine combo with enough volume for my current needs and has a good deal of lows and mids but i miss those highs i am used to hearing. so is there a horn in a box i can buy and place it on top of my combo or something like a quick easy solution? or anything which wont cost me a lot but would do what am looking for.

edit: in better words am looking for a high frequency driver to go along with my 1x15 combo. something like this you know. infact would this work for me or it or it is only for mark bass stuff??

2. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I think Markbass has a little external horn box. You just velcro it to your cab.

3. yep i found it!
    the question is how would i wire it up? does it need any power? do i send in the signal from the line out of my amp or anything else?? :confused:

4. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    the markbass tweeter will work but its pricey and does need power and your amp doesn't appear to have a power out (to drive another speaker). I'd suggest the Eminence Apt80. Nice little tweeter $29.99 doesn't really need its own box, in fact, you may have room in your cab for it.

BUT!!!

You'll have to wire it off the same wires that go to your speaker. This will require voiding any warranty.
    If it were me, I'd buy a cheap piezo tweeter ($1),remove the head unit from the wooden cab (just remove the screws, front and back, it'll just slide right out, (MAKE SURE IT IS UNPLUGGED FROM THE WALL, and you'll have to unplug the speaker wire to remove it all the way)), Hook up the tweeter temporarily, anyway you can, to the same wires that feed the speaker, leave enough slack so you can set the tweeter on top of the amp, slide the head back in place and see how it sounds to you.

you may decide you don't need a tweeter at all.

or,

you may enjoy modifying cabs so much you will no longer be happy with anything anyone makes!

5. woah! thanks but i dont think i have what it takes to rip open my amp yet! :p
    i have mailed markbass guys, lets see what they say if they do get back to me.

6. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    For a 1x15, I would add a midrange driver instead of a tweeter.
    You could just build a small box to hold the MR driver.

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

A piezo tweeter will unfortunately shout out any little bit of clipping in the amp. If there's no clipping, fine. But be warned that you'll hate the sound of clipping from a piezo.

8. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    For $74 I wouldn't bother with markbass. Find a CTS or Motorola Powerline Piezo. I use the KSN-1165-A In my 2x10 and 4x10. I used the KSN-1141 as an external before I rebuilt my cabs. They handle a massive amount of power and their sensitivity makes them sit right underneath the drivers which I prefer.

9. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    if your hesitant to "crack the case", which I completely understand, you'll have to add an amp to drive the tweeter. Unless your combo has a speaker out,there is no other way to connect another speaker to your combo.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    A great midrange driver will make almost any fifteen-oriented player forget all about a tweeter.

11. alright then am all open for a mid range driver! tell me how and what i can add to my current setup?

12. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi varunkapahi.

How about one of these instead. It'll help you to hear the complete sound of your amp.

The next time that you play through your combo, temporarily tilt it back against something so that its speaker is aimed more at your head instead of your knees.

You'll rediscover your bass sound's missing upper mids & highs.

13. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    OR get a 18" length of scrap 2x2 and use the 39.95 for a few sets of strings.

14. thats a cool idea! ampwedge! hmmm nice.. but anyway i do tilt my amp very often that is when not sitting on top of it already :bassist:

15. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Does your amp have a speaker out?

16. i dont think so. it has a line out, fx send and return and input for the bass

17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    You sit on your amp? Your ears are on the sides of your head, not your A$$! Get a chair! :p :D

18. yeah i sit on the amp when am tired. my sound flows through my body! there is a chair around but nothing beats sitting on the amp and feeling each not you play :bassist:

19. there is this used roland micro cube which i can pickup for cheap in my area. i was thinking since it a GUITAR mircro cube it should have a lot of highs and hi mids for me? how do you think this would work for me?
    i have a couple of pedals from which i can split my signal so thats not an issue

20. bump