Can I add...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsdian, Sep 22, 2002.

1. I have a Yorkville 2x10 combo, but I don't know how many Ohms it is. Can I add a 8ohm extension cabinet to it, it says on the back "4 ohm minimum"?
  2. You're in the same situation a friend of mine is in...He's got the SAME amp....4 Ohm Minimum means you can go anywhere LARGER than 4, so 8, yes would be ok....
  3. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't think it's save to add a 4 Ohm cab. I guess the 2*10 of the combo are 8 ohm, so you can add another 8 ohm cab to the "extension cab"-output to get to the 4 ohm minimum... seems most logical to me.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

That's 4 Ohms total impedence! If the 2x10 is already 4 Ohms you cannot add another cab. If you add an 8 Ohm extension speaker that will give you about 2.67 total impedence, which is too low.

If the combo has an extension jack in the back, you may still be able to use an external speaker with it. Some of these amps will automatically disconnect the internal speakers when something is plugged into the external speaker jack. Check your manual.
  5. I'm not sure how many Ohms my combo is though. On the back it says "Extenson Speaker Output", 4 Ohms Minimum. The cab I plan on purchasing is a SWR Son Of Bertha 1x15 (8 Ohms). I cannot find my manual to tell how many Ohms my combo is!
  6. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    XM200T Overview

The full sounding XM200T combo (Dual 10-inch / tweeter) combine ease of use with great sound. With 200 Watts of power and four-way active tone controls that offer simple yet effective tonal flexibility. New ‘Scoop’ control is more than the contour button we’ve used in the past.

The XM200T Scoop is a user controlled tone shift that adds additional bottom end, increased high end presence and a notch in the midrange that creates a whole new tone pallet for the bassist. Unlike the ‘Contour’ button we have used in the past (basically a contour on / off switch) the scoop control allows the player to control the overall depth of the effect.

Professional bass players will appreciate the fact the XLR balanced direct output is selectable pre or post EQ, and a tuner output has been added to the XM200T’s front panel. An overall system mute, switchable limiter, and extension cabinet output has been added to the XM200T combo as well.

I think it's safe to add an 8 ohm cab. Else you could email yorkville:
  7. Okay, I found my manual and here's what it says about the Extension Speaker Output: "The minimum impedance of the external speaker load is 4 Ohms. The output jack is wired parallel with the internal speaker so that the internal speaker will continue to operate when an extension cabinet is used." It also says that the 2x10" speakers is 4 Ohms total.
    So, from what I gather, I can't add my 8 Ohm extension cabinet, can I?
  8. if the minimum impedance is 4 ohms, and the combo already runs at 4 ohms, there wouldn't BE an output jack. you must be reading something wrong.
  9. Probably. Check out the, they list the specifications there, and you can also download the manual. I have the BM200T.
  10. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Minimum impedance of the amp is 2ohm so you can at a cab with an impedance of 4 ohm or higher.

There is no problem with adding a 8 ohm cab (but 4 ohm will give you more power)
  11. Thanks, I just receieved an e-mail from Yorkville verifying that I could put an 8 Ohm extension cab on. The overall work load works out to 2.7 Ohms, and the mimimum is 2 Ohms.
  12. watch out when mixing different impedences because the 4 ohm will sound a lot louder then the 8 ohm. If you have a sterio amp then you can control this but if not you get no control over the volume of the different cabs, just the overall volume.