Can I afford a decent rig II: The Return (Did I do OK?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I got a Crate BXH220 + a Crate SLM (I think) It can handle 400 Watts and has 4 10s. $650 for the whole shebang. It sounds great and I don't need more that 220 watts. I just need to match power with a drummer if I play dry (which I usually don't), but when I do, I play with a loud drummer. How'd I do?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    does it sound good? if so, you did good :bassist:

some crate gear ain't so bad, I knew a guy that gigged with a factory EV loaded 2x15 with a SS Ampeg head.... he always sounded massive.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I don't know much about Amps, I dig it. Out of curiosity, who (famous) plays Crate gear. Just out of curiosity, for no reason.
  4. I generally don't like Crate stuff,

but I heard a guy one time with an old crate head anda 215 and it sounded HUGE and clear....

if it pleases your ears than I'd say it's a solid buy :)

congrats on the new gear!
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The lead singer/guitarist for Earth, Wind, & Fire.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Congrats and enjoy!
  8. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I have to agree that if you like how it sounds you did great, I have a cab with no labels on it, it's huge and ugly, but I loved the way it sounded and it was only $125. It was a good buy for me. I don't worry too much about brand names, I buy what sounds the best at the lowest cost.

Pictures would be nice ;)
  9. I reeally like crate guitar amps, but I'm not too big on their bass combos.

I'm an ampeg man.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Offically gigged and offically rocked!! I had killer tone... dare I say, Geddish :D

I'm happy.
  12. zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    I recently got a BX 440H...440 watts @ 4 ohms, 250 @ 8. I use it with a 4 ohm Avatar B212. It's heavy and ugly, and parts of it seeem a bit cheap (as opposed to inexpensive).

On the other hand, it's loud, sounds good, and has a good effective eq section and a very effective switchable contour knob. It can be deep, warm, clear and dark, or pretty bright and punchy.

For 250 bucks, I have no complaints.
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There's a band called 'Trout Fishing In America' that has a really good bass player (EBG & DB) that played through a Crate bass system when I saw them live. Sounded very good.
  14. Jeff Berlin uses Crate