1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I buy a 3 band EQ for a 2 Band Stingray?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by L. L. Elwood, Nov 18, 2010.

1. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Hi All,

I think i'm about to acquire a 2 band fretless stingray. Was wondering if it's possible to purchase a MusicMan 3band eq for it if i ever get the itch?

Thanks!

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I think that you can,but I believe that you would have to give them your old Ray preamp for them to sell you another one and that is if they will sell you one at all. I know that Seymour Duncan has a great system that they've created for the Music Man Ray,but the problem is that if you're going to try to sell it then you risk killing some resale value of the instrument.....
    Hope this helps and Happy Hunting !

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Not from Musicman you can't. They will only do the same preamp that came stock, and you have to send them your old one first, they won't sell it outright.

Honestly, I think the 2 band sounds better, but you can get a different preamp from John East or Seymour Duncan, both of whom are basing the sound from the 2 band preamp.

4. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Cool. Thanks for the replies. You have to respect ernie ball with that kind of quality/product control and integrity.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Give that 2 band a chance; they really sound great. Much better than the 3 band, IMO.

6. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Oh, most definitely. I'm sure it will be fantastic. Also, If what i've read is correct, I like the idea of the bass basically being passive when the bass and treble are down. The two band is simply boost correct?

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    absolutley, most definetely not!

the treble is boost/cut (without center detent), the bass is boost only though John East, among others, claim it has some bass cut on the zero position.

the 2 band preamp and the MM pickup were designed to complement each other. it works completely different from any other active preamp and thank god it does because it sounds like nothing else and it's the most unique sounding bass if you ask me.

also keep in mind you'll need to drill a hole for the output jack if you convert it to 3 band (I think John East does a stacked version which keeps the output jack on the control plate but as mentioned it's based on the 2 band preamp, a different beast to the more conventional 3 band design).

I have a 3 band fretless Ray, I plan to someday either replace it with a 2 band fretless or find a 2 band preamp to drop in it as I much prefer the character of my 2 band fretted Rays.

8. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Wow. Thanks for clearing that up. I can't wait to get this bass. It seems like people really, really like that 2 band.

9. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I have both and if anything prefer the 2 band. To me the 3 is a bit more refined, and when was bass playing ever that.