Can I Buy a 4 String BEAD Set? Acoustic and Electric

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tyler Ferris, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Tyler Ferris

Tyler Ferris

Jan 21, 2018
    Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, so bear with me if I'm overlooking a thread where this has already been answered. My first bass was a 5 string and that's all I've owned. I'm primarily a tuba player, so the low B is wonderful to have. My bass playing is purely a hobby, so I'm not looking for anything top-of-the-line. I've decided to make a change in my gear and go to 4 string playing, but I want the tuning to be BEAD. I hardly ever play high in the register. I also just purchased an acoustic bass from a friend of a friend, and I want to string it the same. I know I could buy 5 string sets, but that seems to be a bit wasteful. I've been looking online, but I haven't found any vendors that offer 4 string sets in the BEAD configuration. If buying a 5 string set for my new electric and acoustic is the best option, so be it. I thought it might be wise to ask around first. Any advice on strings would be greatly appreciated as well!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

I'm not aware of any packaged sets like that, as most folks just buy a 5 string set and don't use the smallest string.

But you could build whatever set you want using singles if you don't want to do that.

www.basstringsonline.com will have everything you need.

3. Tyler Ferris

Tyler Ferris

Jan 21, 2018
    Thanks for the info!

4. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    For electric:
    Rotosound have a 'Drop Zone' set for BEAD .065-.130.
    DR DDT are sets for low tunings and one is 65/85/102/125.
    Check other brands for detuned 4 string sets.

For acoustic you will need to buy singles or a 5 string set.

Tyler Ferris and HaphAsSard like this.
  5. Yes, and there are so many choices in 5 string sets these days, but purchasing singles will cost a tad more.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022