Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I buy a crossover for 1 amp + 2 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flanree, Jan 25, 2003.

1. flanree

flanree

Jan 25, 2003
    I've got a Hartke 3500 amp driving a 2x10 and a 1x15 cab. The head
    has the usual 2 1/4inch 8 ohm speaker outs. Is there any sort of
    crossover setup I can get with the one amp to split the frequencies
    to the cabs?

I would really appreciate your advice

Andy

2. Only a passive one, such as those put into most cabs that have a tweeter. Active crossovers work at a line signal level, and are placed before a multi-channel amp setup.

I'd suggest you run both cabinets at full range, if the impedances match (i.e., 8 ohms / 8 ohms).

3. It seems like if you could find one that works at speaker level, it would do the trick.

4. flanree

flanree

Jan 25, 2003
    Do I have to put the passive crossover inside my amp, on the circuit board?

5. No. Typically, there's no way to do that without voiding the warranty. I'd suggest you put it in a separate box next to your cabs if you want to try it -- but I wouldn't do it that way. The components would have to be heavy duty (and heavy gauge) to withstand the power, and, if they fail, you could possibly fry your amp.

If you're going to bi-amp, I'd suggest going out of your amp via the effects loop, if it has one, feeding it to a device such as a compressor limiter that can do a stereo split at line level, and then feeding an active crossover, which in turn would feed a stereo power amp. This means that you are using your current amp as just a preamp, effectively.

I do that on the rare occasions that I need more power (without the active crossover, though -- I run both my Avatar B210 and B115 cabs full range), and it is safe and effective.