Can I combine this combo and extension cab safely?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eoinwalsh, Nov 6, 2019.

1. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Hello

I have a quick question I hope someone can answer.

I have the markbass cmd 121p combo. MARKBASS | Products | Mini CMD 121P

Is it safe to use the Aguilar S 112 as an extension cab with the markbass amp or would that do damage? SL Series Cabinets

A technical explanation of why it is or isn't ok to do this would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Yes it's safe as long as you use your ears. 8ohm combo + 8ohm cab = 4ohms, which the amp will do safely. However it will be outputting 500W @ 4 ohms so be careful to not push your 250W rated 112 cabinet too hard ;)

3. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    It shouldn’t be too risky. Yes, the amp will output 500W into 4ohms, but that power will be divided between the two cabs, with each receiving a potential 250W. It shouldn’t be a problem, but, as always, use your ears.

Winoman and Kriegs like this.
  4. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011

Thanks. In theory, it should be ok because the 500 Watts of the amp (if all 500 Watts are used) will be spread evenly across the markbass speaker and the aguilar speaker right?

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yes. as has been said, this combination will work fine as far as wattage and ohms match goes. How the Aggie 112 will sound with the Markbass 112 is another matter. Probably will sound fine, but you won't really know till you try it.

Just out of curiosity, did you consider adding a Markbass 8ohm 112, like the NYC 121, instead of the Aguilar ? It rarely a big risk to mix/match gear, but I'm a big fan of matched gear personally .. because each manufacturer spends at least some time making sure their separates will work/sound well together.

good luck

6. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Correct.

7. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011

Yes. That's actually the setup I use but the house gear in the venue I'm playing in is that aguilar cab and I need to take public transport so I don't want to bring my full rig, just the combo.

The only worrying thing is that that specific aguilar cab seemed to distort last time I played it with the venue's aguilar head. I wonder will that distortion be worse when I combine it with the markbass.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021