1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I Daisy Chain All Of These Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ginsly, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    I'm finally setting up a proper pedalboard, and I'm looking to switch from batteries. I know that carbon zinc batteries are supposed to be the best thing for fuzz pedals, but I can't stand having to unplug all of my effects constantly so the batteries won't drain.

I have a Boss TU-2 and a daisy chain, but I'm wondering if any of my pedals will be fried if I power them through the TU-2. I'm going to buy a One-Spot for the Big Muff, too. Here's my list, but not all of them will be on the board at once (probably five or six of them, though).

Green Sovtek Big Muff
    OLC Chunky Cheese
    Wattson Superfuzz
    Woolly Mammoth
    Devi Bass Fuzz
    Devi Dark Boost
    Xotic X-Blender
    VT Bass
    Xotic Bass RC Booster
    (plus the TU-2, though it's not in my signal chain)

I did some research, but the whole pos/neg tip thing kinda confuses me. I'd really appreciate some help with this - thanks!!

Matt

http://www.myspace.com/darkfog

2. From what I hear 99.9% of pedals are negative tip.

As long as all those pedals are 9v (if they need a battery then they're 9v) you *should* be fine.

3. Both Devi pedals and the VT are definitely neg-tip, but the Muff may need a slightly-oddball pos-tip if it uses anything other than a 9V battery, and I'd power all of them with the 1 Spot rather than thru the tuner, but that's just me...

4. green big muff doesnt have a 9v power input, so you'd need a battery clip converter, which runs from a negative tip

5. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Thanks everybody! The One-Spot I had mentioned was just the battery clip converter. Mudd, what is the One Spot you're talking about? And what are the advantages of using that over the Boss pedal's power?

6. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Just looked into the One Spot power adapter.. seems like a safer bet than the TU-2. Thanks for the tip!

7. 1 Spot is rated at 1700mA, which is considerably greater than a Boss power adapter's 500mA. It means you can run a lot more pedals from it.

8. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    i'm curious about this...

9. Buying a 1-spot is the best thing I have done to simplify my effects. For around 30 bucks you really can't go wrong! Plus they come with most every adapter you are likely to encounter. And it comes with a little book that tells you what pedal needs what adapter.

10. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Sounds great, I'm gonna pick one up right away!

11. Short of going with a full-blown power supply, the 1 Spot's hard to beat. The only thing I'm not totally sure of is whether it's regulated and if you want to be SURE in that, I'd suggest getting a Fulltone wart (can't link directly to it...go there and look for 'AC adapters' in the lower links on that page).

12. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up, Mudd. I checked out the Fulltone wall wart (the FPS-1), but it doesn't look like I'd be able to power more than one pedal with it. Is there a way to do that with this Fulltone wart, or is there another one you were thinking of? Sorry, I'm kind of new to this stuff...

13. I use a Fulltone with an 8-plug daisy-chain to power my main board (which is only six pedals total right now)...just connect the chain to the wart and then your pedals to the chain.

- edit - if you have unused plugs in your chain, put tape or something on the unused contacts to keep them from grounding on anything.

14. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    I'm just not sure how that would work. It seems like the tips on the daisy chain are the same as the tip on the Fulltone adapter, so I'm not sure how you would plug the daisy chain into the Fulltone. Would I need some sort of small adapter for that? Thanks Mudd!

15. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    nope, the start of the daisy chain is a female barrel plug. you can connect a daisy chain to another daisy chain if you want.

16. Not the greatest pic, but go here...the socket/barrel plug/thingy on the left end of the chain will connect to the Fulltone (or 1 Spot, or any other) plug, the same as if you were plugging it into a single pedal.

- edit - the battery clip for your SovTek Muff will also connect to the chain in the same way.

17. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    I see, it's just a different daisy chain than I have right now. I got one long ago to power pedals from my TU-2, and all of the tips are the same. Guess I'll have to pick up a new daisy when I get the power supply (unless there is a little adapter I can stick on the end of my existing daisy chain). Really appreciate the help, guys.

18. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Oh, and bassk - carbon zinc batteries are supposed to make your fuzz pedals sound a little more "vintage", but I'm not sure how much difference it really makes. Guess I'll find out once I start using an adapter..

19. audiophile21

audiophile21

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston
    i have a 1 spot powering my whole board right now and t works wonders

20. Ah HAH...that explains it, and you're welcome.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021