Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can I damage my power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fran Diaz, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Hi all,

I've got a QSC PLX 1602 power amp. The problem is that the fan noise is a little bit annoying (at home only).
    I'm thinking about installing a fan defeat switch.
    My question is can I damage the amp if I do this? My volume at home is very low.

TIA
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i dont have that amp, so im making an informed guess.

If the fan is not on all the time, i.e. it turns itself on and off automatically, then i wouldnt try and do what you describe, if the fan is on at home practising that means that the fan needs to be on, if however, the fan is constantly on, you may be able to do what you said, however you would need to be very careful that the amp dosent get too hot, and you would also want to make sure that you never forget to turn the fan on when playing a gig or practising at high(ish) volumes.

3. Yes, you can damage the amp if you leave the fan turned off and it really needs to be on to cool the amp.

I'd say get a small practice amp for home use.

Chris

4. If the fan is on all the time, you risk damaging the amp. There might be parts in the amp that run hot even when idle. BTW the fan probably runs at a low speed at low volume levels and switches to full speed when needed.

But you really should ask Bob Lee, he works for QSC. Bob, care to chime in?

5. I would not recommend modifying the PLX for the same reasons mentioned above.

Save $100 and buy yourself a used Alesis RA-100 from ebay. Shallow depth chassis, rack mountable ears are detachable to save space, 75w/ch @ 8ohms, 100w/ch @ 4 ohms. Clean sounding, convection - cooled, no fan noise.

:)

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I must have a PLX-1602 with the super-quiet fan option. At low volume/power I can barely hear it. The fan is at full speed when I first turn on the power, but it quickly slows down to barely audible. On the other hand, my old SWR 350x had a loud fan compared to the QSC (though it switched itself on and off) but you still couldn't hear it when the band started playing.

But I agree with the idea that if you're playing quietly enough that the fan noise becomes an issue, get a small combo/practice amp.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Tube amps are supposed to run hot but solid state amps are not!!! Not recommending you do that.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    uh, the PLX's or any QSC's don't have power tubes....

:confused:

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Turn up the gain, bury the fan noise, and show your neighbors what your amp can do!!!:bassist:

10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Yeh so he i saying that seeing as it does not have tubes, it should be kept cool, i.e. dont remove the fan

11. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    If that is the one I think it is, with the lightweight switching power supply...you need the fan.
    Some of those have the fan blowing past the power supply components in a sort of duct, and I don't think it will be happy if you turn off the fan.

The power supply stuff can get hot fast because it's heatsink is small...it depends on that air.

But, if its really noisy it might be going bad....fans fail and they get noisy first. Is it a whine or something else?

12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    OK, I'll leave my QSC alone, it's a great amp and still under warranty. I'll try to find a cheap used practice amp or power amp.

thanks a lot guys.
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If you defeat the fan, it could cause the amp to overheat, and you wouldn't have a warranty to help you out with the damage.

Dust accumulation can make a fan noisier than it should be. Get one of those cans of compressed air used for cleaning computer components. Blow off any accumulated dust from the fan vanes.

14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Thanks a lot for the advice Bob!!!, I'll clean the fan and won't mess around with it.

keep groooovin'
    Fran