1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I disconnect the j pick up on my mustang

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BlueP, Dec 11, 2018.

1. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    I am using my mustang bass as a project for modification

It’s a recent p/j mim

I like the alder body and colour, that it is short scale and the neck

Stock, it sounds ok but my Mia j and p are my go to for gigs

So far I have managed to fit a fender custom shop p pick up and having put the guitar back together it sounds good when I play with the switch to the front pickup

But it really shows up the quality of the j pick up and for choices I am now thinking

Either disconnect and remove the j pick up if that is possible with the wiring configuration

Or if not
    Replace the stock j pickup with a fender custom shop

My preference is to remove the j and just run it as a p and then buy a bridge cover to conceal the cavity

As a person with very little understanding of wiring I am seeking advice as to whether outright removal of the j pick up is as simple as just disconnecting the pick up
    Or is the p/j wiring set up dependant on both pick ups being connected

I was pretty excited when I finished wiring in the new pick up and put the guitar back together and I thought, wow, I can run this little mustang on the custom shop p as a p

Whilst I was thinking of pulling out and replacing all the wiring and electronics it seems that just changing pick up is a significant improvement so I am figuring to keep the original pots etc

Also
    Can anyone confirm if 2012 tuner pegs etc will fit the mum made in Mexico ??

I think running it as a p and with a change of pegs should get me to where I am really happy with it.

Thanks in advance for any supporting and relevant comments ...

Ps
    Currently strung with chromes ...

Ross (Bluep)

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Sure. You can disconnect the j wires at the pot, put sime heat shrink on the loose ends and play on. Or remove it.

Can you snap a pic of the tuners?

BlueP likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you do realize that with the 3-way switch the J is disconnected when you flip the switch forward for the P pickup. that's all you need to do.

(if you do want to upgrade, look at the dimarzio area J bridge; sounds nice and clear, blends nicely with a P pickup, and unlike regular j pickups it won't have single coil hum.)

Hopkins, 96tbird, BlueP and 2 others like this.
  4. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Thanks and will upload a photo to show the tuners.

5. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Yes, understood, am running with the switch forward...

Thanks for the tip on dimarzio, will think about that....I am still getting use to a p/j set up and a blended tone ... with the switch forward, as you say I can have the simplicity of just the p pickup