Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I do this with my Mesa Cab.???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I want to run my Powerhouse 1000 (4x10+1-15) in stereo. It has two 8 ohm jacks. 1 8 ohm for the 4-10s, 1 8 ohm for the 15. Also one for all of them combined 4 ohms. I am getting a G-K 800RB for cheap, and want to run it into the 8 ohm 15 alone, then run my Mesa 400+ into the 4x10s with the other separate input. BTW, the 4 10 have a deeper bass sound than the 15. This way I can get that quick GK growl and the vintage tube sound in the same cab. Crazy???? :hyper:

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I've run two different heads into two different cabs before. What I usually do is go out from my effects loop send into the input on the other head. I've also tried from my tuner to the input on the other head, best results was from the effects loop send to the input on the other amp, hotter signal. Hope I helped,
    peace
    -Ben

3. Rockbobmel

Thanks Ben, but the Mesa is one cab with 4-10s and 1-15 and separate and combined jacks.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Can you do it? Yes. Is it crazy? No. Just make sure you don't exceed the power limitations on each individual section, and you'll be fine.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Ohh, haha, I should of seen that, sorry. As nonsqtr said, just watch out not to exceed the power limitations on each individual cab. Since the cab has two different input so you can run each section alone, then I would still hook it up the same way I suggested, unless you have a stereo bass then you wouldn't have to couple the two amps together like that, there may be another way of coupling two amps together but I'm unaware of it.
    peace
    -Ben

6. Rockbobmel

I am within safe power ratings. I am just worried about a shared ground, or power back feeding into one of the amps.
    One amp is all tube and the other solid state.

7. Rockbobmel

Bump

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I cant see why it would be a problem, people do it all the time. You can use your cab as one big 4ohm cab or two seperate 8ohm cabs. The heads shouldnt interfere with one another causing noise or anything as long as you are using propper cables.

You could plug your bass into the Mesa and use the mesa to power the 4x10's.
    Run a cable from the Mesa Effects Send to the input of the GK, and use the GK to power the 1x15. Fairly simple.

You could also use a Y splitter from your bass so that your bass is being plugged into each head, and then still power each cab (or cab section I should say) the same way.

Using the effects send is more common and will probably get better results (I think those Y splitters also divide your signal in half)..

9. Rockbobmel

Thanks, I am using ab A/B/Y box to run into both channels of the mesa now. So the E.S. may be the way to go.

10. Rockbobmel

Bump

11. Rockbobmel

bump

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    how do you like that Mesa POwerhouse 1000? I saw one but didnt play on it...

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Do you mean you run one bass into both preamp inputs of the 400+ at the same time, using the 'Y' on the AB-Y box? If so, howz it sound compared to using either of the 400+'s inputs alone? Any other benefits/drawbacks?

14. Rockbobmel

Yeah, Mad Subwoofer has the formula. I could not find the thread. I'll put it up later.

15. Rockbobmel

bump