Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CAN I DO THIS ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Sep 19, 2003.

1. hey what's up i got an ampeg svt 3 pro and i need more power i also have a 1000 watt power amp. can i run a line from the power amp out jack of the SVT3 to the power amp then out of the power amp to my cabs ??

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If you mean going from the pre amp out to the power amp, then yes. Although I recall hearing that the preamp out on the SVT3 bypasses the "drive" part of the pre amp, so it doesn't sound as good.

You absolutely CANNOT go from the power amp out to another power amp. Things will start to smoke.

3. i meant the preamp out and thanx for the info

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    You can run an instrument cable from your preamp output (not speaker output) to your preamp in on the power amp.

This uses the preamp section from your SVT3 and seperate power amp. Use speaker outs from power amp to cabinets as usual.

The thing to keep in mind when doing this type stuff is that you want to use only LINE LEVEL SIGNALS going into a power amp, amp head, combo.. anything like that. Powered signals should (usually) only go to speakers.

5. Ok, I'm having a brain fart or something. Power amp out...is that the speaker jack?

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yes, it is.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hopefully not to confuse matters, but I've seen some amps label the preamp output (line-level output from the preamp) with a "power amp" type wording - because it's going to connect to a power amp. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

Anyway - as long as it doesn't say "speaker" next to it. :)

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yes you can connect a speaker output to the input of a power amp. If you use a cable that has built in attenuation it can be done. In fact, the 1/4" "line out" on some amps is just an attenuated speaker output. In fact, I have run a regular guitar cord out of a speaker jack into a power amp (in a pinch) with no problems. You have to keep the input gain on the amp cut back, but it will work, without smoke.

If you think about it, a speaker output has many characteristics that are desirable for a line output: very low impedance, and enough voltage & current capability that you will _never_ load it down. Of course, if your amp has a "preamp out" jack, you should use that.

In spite of the fact that I know it will work, I am now ducking in anticipation of the flame throwing naysayers.........:cool:

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, ineal, don't confuse the guy. That is an alright idea though. I had an old sunn guitar amp that was like that. The line out had a fat resistor that went to then master line out.

10. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Not trying to be confusing, just letting him know that, in a pinch, you can make it work. :cool: You should always use a line level output whenever you can. You can also make your own attenuator cable with a little solder and a resistor.....keep it with you. Ya never know.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, I always keep that stuff around