Can I do This.............

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleetwood, Jun 16, 2004.

1. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Is it possible (and safe) to run one combo from another combo?
    Such as going from line out or even headphone jack and feeding this into the normal input jack on another combo.
    Can you then use all controls on each amp and vary the sound from each as required.
    Or should I use other jacks - like send or return.
    And will it damage either of the combos.
  2. Sure. You won't hurt anything, just make sure that the 'line out' that you use doesn't carry enough wattage to drive a speaker cabinet. Some combos have outs for external speaker cabs...don't use that. The headphone jack works fine, but a line out works better.

When in doubt, just try it, but keep the volumes down at first.
  3. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I've played multipul combos in like with eachother in the past. I usually go from the EFX send on one into the hi-gain input on the next, and so on down the line. I've tried it with the tuner out but it doesn't work nearly as well.

You'll have two places to EQ as well, I would start the EQ on the second amp either cut entirely or flat, because in my experiences you are sending the EQ'ed signal to the other amp and if you have them EQ'ed the same it's more like double the boost. You will definitally have to mess with that to get it to sound right, but will be usuable in any light.

I would think if you have a line out that isn't powered you could go into the input of the combo, but a powered signal would fry the input on the second amp.

Give it a try and see how you like it.

4. The best way to do it, if you can, is to take the "effects loop send" or "line out" of one and send it to the "effects loop in" or "poweramp in" of the second one. That way you don't have to worry about EQ or gain.
  5. This is how I would do it too.
  6. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Thanks guys.
    The two amps are No1. GK- MB150E and No2. Ashdown EL 130/15.
    The info with the GK concerning the Line out just says
    Impedence - output - send 1K ohm, line out 1K ohm.
    Both amps have send and return jacks.

Dan what do you mean by 'not having to worry about EQ' if I use the send and return? Do you mean no control over EQ on the 2nd Amp (Ash)?

The info for the line out on the GK says ' provides a line level signal (post Limiter level) for interfacing with outboard power amplifiers.' Does this mean it's not a powered line out and is safe to use?
    Does this clarify anything further?
  7. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Oh yes, I forgot. Do you use guitar leads or speaker leads? Or doesn't it matter?
  8. If you go to the return on the second amp you will be using the power section only. No EQ, no gain control. All of that will be done with the preamp section of the first amp. Much simpler setup.
  9. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Does doing this put any extra load on the first amp? As in a similar way to having to not exceed the total permitted impedance when adding second speakers.