1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can i do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zycro, Aug 25, 2004.

1. zycro

zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    okay, here is another of my crazy ideas. buy a subwoofer box for like $30, buy a bass speaker off ebay for about $30. Put them together and add a bass head (i can get a peavey series 400 for $200 canadian) and there you go, a bass rig for under $300.

is there a reason why this wouldnt work?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Two reasons it wouldn't be a good idea.

First, the drivers voiced for subwoofer are designed to reproduce the extreme low frequencies. While the bass guitar has these, it also contains a lot of mid and high frequency information. Most subwoofer drivers aren't that great above 150 hz. And the bass produces a lot of sound above this frequency. Your bass would sound muffled played only through a sub.

Second, most of the drivers voiced for subwoofer are very inefficient. In other words, they are not near as loud as drivers used in bass cabinets. Meaning that you would need a lot more power to be heard, and in the end, you couldn't put enough power into the driver(without destroying it) to be as loud as a well designed bass cabinet. There are some slight exceptions to this rule, but the more efficient sub drivers that will take hundreds more watts will cost a lot more than $30.

I don't know near as much about this subject as some others on here. bgavin, where are you?:D

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Or, you could spend that $300 on a used combo, and it'll actually sound like something . . . ;)

4. zycro

zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    actually, i wouldnt be using the subwoofer speaker, but an actual bass guitar amp speaker. I would be using a subwoofer box that is the correct dimensions for the speaker. Probably 12"

cant really find a good quality combo in my area (vancouver, canada) for about $300. Shipping is outrageous so i have to buy local.