Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can i do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zycro, Aug 25, 2004.

1. zycro

zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    okay, here is another of my crazy ideas. buy a subwoofer box for like $30, buy a bass speaker off ebay for about $30. Put them together and add a bass head (i can get a peavey series 400 for $200 canadian) and there you go, a bass rig for under $300.

is there a reason why this wouldnt work?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Two reasons it wouldn't be a good idea.

First, the drivers voiced for subwoofer are designed to reproduce the extreme low frequencies. While the bass guitar has these, it also contains a lot of mid and high frequency information. Most subwoofer drivers aren't that great above 150 hz. And the bass produces a lot of sound above this frequency. Your bass would sound muffled played only through a sub.

Second, most of the drivers voiced for subwoofer are very inefficient. In other words, they are not near as loud as drivers used in bass cabinets. Meaning that you would need a lot more power to be heard, and in the end, you couldn't put enough power into the driver(without destroying it) to be as loud as a well designed bass cabinet. There are some slight exceptions to this rule, but the more efficient sub drivers that will take hundreds more watts will cost a lot more than $30.

I don't know near as much about this subject as some others on here. bgavin, where are you?:D

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Or, you could spend that $300 on a used combo, and it'll actually sound like something . . . ;)

4. zycro

zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    actually, i wouldnt be using the subwoofer speaker, but an actual bass guitar amp speaker. I would be using a subwoofer box that is the correct dimensions for the speaker. Probably 12"

cant really find a good quality combo in my area (vancouver, canada) for about $300. Shipping is outrageous so i have to buy local.