can i do this

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tucker, Jun 8, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    can I add on another 9 volt battery to my Spector NS 2000 Q5 bass. They are active pickups. I've asked this question before. How do i know if my bass can handle it?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't have a Spector, but I think the NS 2000 Q5 has EMG-HZ pickups, which are passive, and an active EMG tone circuit. So, if it were me, I would contact Spector and ask if the electronics can handle 18v. If it's an off-the-shelf EMG circuit, 18v. should be no problem, but it's a good idea to find out exactly what's in there before you muck around with it. You could also contact EMG, they've responded quickly to any questions I've asked them.
  3. Why would you want to do that??? More output?
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Adding more voltage to some EMGs is said to really warm them up (sonically...not literally).
  5. Not at all familiar with the bass you mention. However, it might be possible because most amp chips are designed to handle around 30 volts across them, made up as + and - 15 Volts.

But, as Flatwound says, check first. And if EMG will tell you how to do it, naturally follow their advice to the letter. You will probably find there's some mods to be done to the circuit board.

Rockin John