Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I Do This???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Feb 11, 2006.

1. I am in the market for a new amplifier, however I got the grand idea to just replace my Washburn "Bad Dog" 10" driver with a Celestion tonight. I got online, and found a place that is retailing them for $45. The specs for the Clestion are...

The specs on my Randall RB30XM is...
    Has anyone ever done this before with a lower end amp? If it helps, I do have a combo, and the only markings on the back of my speaker are "SP-8/30BD" Which I assume is just a serial number on the original Washburn speaker.

Thanks,
    -ryan-

2. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Not that it matters......but is the amp/cab a Wahburn or a Randall? And Why change the speaker anyway?

3. The combo is a Randall, and I want to change out the speaker because the stock one is pretty much blown to sh!t.

I figure I can change out the speaker, and that will tie me over for awhile until I can afford a new head/cab.

-ryan-

4. Maybe I should be asking "Should I Do This??"..

-ryan-

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No, the Celestion is a guitar speaker.

6. ..And yet it is listed under Bass replacement speakers:eyebrow:

-ryan-

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If it has an fs of 80 Hz it's useless for bass, and it's a very safe bet that the other pertinent specs are also NG, but since they're not even listed who knows? I'd venture that whoever wrote the ad copy knows absolutely squat about drivers, go elsewhere, like Parts Express or BLT sound.