1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I find a good practice amp under $100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Feb 18, 2008.

1. I have a 5 string so I need something that can handle the B. Other than that is it possible to find a good practice amp for home use for that price? If so what models have you seen in that price range?

2. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    used........ or berhinger. wont be good but thats the best new.

3. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think you should rethink this "need". You can't even buy a speaker cab that will handle the low B for $100.

4. OK what do you recommend? I admit I am being frugal with this. I hate carrying my Iamp back and forth when I can just get a simple "VERY SMALL" combo for the house

5. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Ok, everyone can get ready to scoff at me, but I'm going to do it anyway....

Check eBay and get a guitar combo with a 12" speaker. I see them ALLL the time. I've got one lying around that I use from time to time, when my gear's out of the house, and it's fine for personal practice. You can HEAR the low b, but nothing to write home about. I know that the guitar speaker's going to die in time, but I don't push it like crazy, and it's cheap enough that I don't worry about it.

Now, on the other hand, you may be able to pick up a used Peavey (TKO maybe) or Crate with 15" speakers in them for just about $100. I got a used TKO a few years ago with a replaced speaker for $75 and it was great for practice. You may have to clean some pots and such at that price, but it IS an option. I found mine on CL as you probably wouldn't want to ship something that large.

PEACE!

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Peavey Microbass. Handles my Roscoe's low B just fine.

7. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Behringer Thunderbird x108. Great little 8" practice amp. Low B sounds great if you're EQ savvy.

89$.

8. I do the same thing. I bought a cheap marshall 12" combo. it can still replicate that b (or at least a C. i don't go down to b that often, but sometimes on my 4er i play drop c). i use it when practicing at home and would rather not wake people.