Can I get a custom StingRay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Sep 19, 2006.

1. You think, if I paid enough, I could get a custom a StringRay; one with 5, or if I could, 6 strings, a thinner neck, and a narrower string spacing? Basically, I want something that sounds like my StingRay, but with a different feel. I love the thick neck and wide string spacing for my SR4, but I want/need something with 6 (or if not possible for Ernie Ball then, I guess 5 will do) strings and the SR5 are too wide for my taste (I wouldn't be using it for slap)..soo what do you think?:)

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    as far as i know, EBMM never has and never will make a very-custom bass for anyone. ie. i don't like your chances of getting EBMM to build you a 6 string EBMM or one with different string spacing unless you are a very well known endorsed artist.

3. What about Valenti basses?? With MM Pickups

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    But will it still be a StingRay?;)

5. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    I don't fancy your chances much, even if you are an endorsed artist.
    I heard that the reason Flea went to Modulus Graphite was because Ernie Ball wouldn't make him a graphite necked stingray!

I reckon your best bet would be to get a luthier to make you a custom bass to your specs.
    Delano (www.delano.de) make custom MM style pickups with exposed pole pieces.

Hope that's of some use mate!

Cheers,
    Eude

6. funkbasser

funkbasser

Sep 19, 2006
    I dont know about custom stingrays, you dont see very many custom full stop, let alone extreme variations like that.

Also, i think Flea went to Modulus because MM refused to rename the Stingray the flea bass :p

7. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    If what you want is a Music Man Stingray, then the easy (and correct) answer is, "No."

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Just have a luthier make you a custom Bass based off of the Stingray(Carey Nordstrand makes a killer MM replacement pickup).

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd get in touch with Nino Valenti. He might be up for doing such a project, and you would be hard-pressed to get a better bang-for-your-buck top-quality MM-type custom bass anywhere else.

10. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    Good move on MM's part for not making the "Flea bass", because now everytime I think of Modulus, I always think of the flea bass and none of their other products. To top it off i'd never buy anything with anyone name on it besides the manufacturer or designer anyway.

11. Other than custom finishes the only fully "custom" bass I've ever seen EB make was the three-stringer they made for Tony Levin, so I would say your chances are not so good.

Go with a custom luthier.

12. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    MM is also very protective of their products' distinguishing features (like the headstock) so even a custom SR lookalike will not appear very SRish.

But mebbe you can join the EBMM forum and lobby for a bass you like. Sterling Ball has been known to listen to forum members even if it means a loss for him. Great guy.

13. i just bought a SR5 and am kind of regretting it. Some people live by the 5th string but I am now thining i would have been better off with a sr4.

14. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Hey, here's a "Custom" Stingray for you!

39_1_b.jpg

2b_1.jpg

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Improv, check out Skjold. He doesn't make a SR clone, but his single pickup basses are very reasonable. I think you get single pup six for under $2,000, I think.

16. Dave LaRue has a few pickguard-less Bongos and a killer quilted-top no-'guard Sterling, but other than him and TLev I can't think of anyone else on the bass side of the company.

17. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    nope... you cant get a custom music man. endorsed artists can tho (as mentioned above). they would make the endorsed guys a sig if they wanted one...

the sterling 5 should debut at anaheim namm... so there's a year to wait to see if you like that bass' feel.

18. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR

I think you may be the only person on earth who thinks the SR5 spacing is too wide... I find it's spacing pretty tight.

19. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds like you need a 5 string sterling mate, i think they exist but i may be completley wrong again:rollno: :p

20. wait, wait WAIT... What makes a stingray a STINGRAY if you can't get the tone with the pickups on a quality bass like a Valenti??

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021