Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I get Better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlu, Aug 3, 2005.

1. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I am looking for a new bass for about 500-800.

I ran into the spetor legend, from what i have read it appears to be a pretty decent bass. Whats the best i can get in that price range? If style of music helps, I am all round kinda guy.

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Whew, there are a lot of basses in that price range, and the important thing (I think) it to just try basses 'til you find one taht suits you, and then make sure you get a good deal.
    Personally, and for that kind of money, I'd check out the Lakland Skyline 44-01.

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    G&L Tribute 4 or 5. hands down

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    gotta agree with mike here, g&l all the way.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    If you buy used, you'll be able to get a much better bass. Keep an eye out on the TB For Sale forum... there's a lot of great stuff at reasonable prices out there.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    You might look at an Ibanez BTB. Their five and six string basses are expecially nice, if that's what you're looking for.

Graeme

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1. For $600- $800, if you go used, you may be able to snag something like a Warwick Corvette or a Spector Euro or Rebop. If you like Spectors, definitely seek one out used. For the price of a new Legend, you can get a used Euro or Rebop, which are higher-end Spectors.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Definatly shop around and don't do an impulse buy. For 800 clams you can find a great used bass in mint condition. You have a lot of options here.

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Lakland Skyline 44-02 or 55-02
    or Fender Roscoe Beck (Used)

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    +1

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    $500 to $800 can also get you a suh-wheet Marcus Miller Jazz bass, Geddy Lee Jazz bass, or Reggie Hamilton Jazz bass.

It's a good price range to be in.

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Just in the last two days, I've seen used Laklands in flawless condition being sold in my area for $500-700. I've seen used Pedulla Raptures going for $800-900... it's a bit outside of your range, but the point is that very high-end basses can be had if you shop used.

13. +1 on going used. you can get a great bass for $800. but if you must go new, i would go with one of the previously mentioned CIJ Fenders.

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd seriously look at a used Lakland 44-02 or 55-02. You REALLY should look used at that price range, as you can get an excellent bass for the money, not just a good one.

If you insist on new, look into the Fender Geddy Lee, Lakland 44-01/55-01, or Musicman SUB.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That Fortress is HOT! It has the wenge neck, older style brass nut, plus the Fortress line was discontinued from Warwick's German lineup (though there is a Rockbass Fortress.) And that long Fortress upper horn means it's probably one of the better balancing Warwicks.

I'd go for that Fortress.

The Corvette looks like one of the newer ones with the thicker ovangkol neck and graphite nut.

16. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I second the 55-01. I'm selling a 55-01 NTMB right now on Ebay (unless a TB'er gives me a good offer) and i'm mad that i have to part with it :(

17. that's WAY too much for that corvette and fortress... you can buy better warwicks and better basses in general than that for that kind of money.

18. yeah, Bass Central has that same bass for $650 on their site.