1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I Get Help Identifying this P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbalou02, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi, this is the craigslist P Bass find I posted about last week. My first P! It plays fantastic and sounds awesome too. A bit more unruly sounding than my '08 Tbird Studio, but I haven't played with my amp settings much to straighten that out, and that isn't really a bad thing anyway. It really growls.

pbass.

I'm very happy with it. I'm pretty sure its a repro, but I don't care. It's worth the $300 I paid for it. It's got a Badass II bridge, new fender tuning pegs, a Hipshot Xtender, and a formed plastic Fender locking hard shell case, with key even! I also got the old black tuning pegs and original bridge that were on it.

I am curious though what the parts are from. There are no serial numbers or brand markings anywhere - not on the neck pocket (which is painted entirely black, and has a larger 5th hole in the middle of the 4 neck screw holes), neck plate, neck or pickups. The only two places I can find any markings at all are:

1) Neck - the fender decal, which is set under the finish, and looks very realistic, although it may be out of place, as you can see from the way the G peg covers part of it. The finish does not seem to be redone or doctored in any way - if it was, it was done very well. I know these aren't original tuning pegs, they were just put on before I bought it, so possibly they could have bigger nuts than the original? The neck feels really nice. I thought initially it might be a MightyMite neck because of the truss rod access hole, now I'm not sure because the MightyMite I have on my J bass is marked on the head end of the neck, and the finish is a lot thinner and less glossy. This neck is A LOT nicer neck than my J Bass MightyMite also. Feels really comfortable.

headstock.

2) Pots - The pots have some numbers on them, and a logo of some sort. The tone pot says A500K and then a logo that looks like a JP inside a square, underneath that is a 8HW. Volume says B500K, with the same markings as the tone below it.

pots.

If you have any ideas from these few clues, let me know! Thanks!

2. whatever it is fender or not, for $300 you got a sweet bass :)

3. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    Yeah, can't help you identify it but that G tuning peg covering the logo does look a little fishy. The case, D tuner and badass are almost worth $300 new anyways, so if it plays and sounds great than you got a good deal no matter what it is.

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    It may not be fishy if the tuners were replaced with different ones from the originals.

5. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    may be some form of reissue, or an off brand with a fender neck. It look good and as long as it sounds and plays good, for that money you couldn't beat it.

6. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks for the input everyone. The guy I bought it from just emailed me that he talked with the guy he got it from, who said he thought it was a CIJ. Anyone with a MIJ or CIJ can tell me where they put serial numbers, and if there is anything printed on the neck other than the decal on the headstock?

7. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Looks like an anodized pickguard, which is not common for a copy. So either some guy pimped a copy to look like an older P bass or atleast he body is legit. The bushes on the tuners look rather wide, so maybe they are replaced. Either way this thing saved you a lot of money on upgrades you may eventually have wanted to perform anyway, and it looks amazing.

8. CIJ usually have a decal on the neck heel with Crafted In Japan or Made In Japan (depending on age, i have two CIJ) with the Serial under it.

i wouldnt stress though for $300 its really a good deal as long as it plays and you love the neck so thats worth it right there :)

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Take the neck off. It'd be a good way to know if its a real neck or not.

10. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Neck's been off...not a marking on it, or the neck pocket. I'll try and get a pic up of it today.

11. Fenders that I have seen with the neck off, have the stamp on the very end for dating purposes.

Looks like a nice one either way.