Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I get something good for around $600.00?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Knavery, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I've been looking around for a new combo or head and cabinet for around $600.00. I don't know if it can be done, but I just bought myself a nice Warwick FNA Jazzman and my Peavey 2x10 combo just isn't cutting it anymore.

Does anyone know what is a good buy that will generate a nice tone that the Warwick offers? Thanks.

Knavery

2. Have you thought about buying an extension cab for your combo? It would allow you to be more versatile. You could use just the combo for smaller gigs and take your extension cab when you need more volume and power.

3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    How about this? Not a bad deal at all...

I'm not the biggest fan of the head, but it should work for 90% of your gigging situations.

Lync

4. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I should have mentioned my current amp is closed to fried. I think it has some shorts in it. It's just plain old. I need to get rid of it and into something new.

Knavery

5. Lync that is a great deal/idea.

6. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    How do 12 inch speakers rate for basses and what is this company? What kind of speakers? Better than what you'd normally find? I'm intrigued.

Knavery

7. Do a search for Avatar in this forum and you'll find more info than you need. A lot of folks like the company and that particular cabinet is highly rated.

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    12" speakers seem to be popular right now. The general consensus is that they thump like 15's, but have most of the punch of 10's.

I'm not sure why things changed (the SWR Silverado Special was a 2X12 combo and many folks didn't dig the tone and thought the 12's were "weird"), but they seem to be available from many brands currently.

There is also a similar deal with 2X10's.

Lync

9. if you watch the forums you could find a

Sansamp RBI>
    Cheaper power amp>

for right at 600 if you're patient...

I highly reccomend the SWR WOrkingman 15 combo...great lowend and an over all incredible tone for the price