Can I get the classic Jazz bass sound from the Roscoe Beck V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larzon, May 15, 2005.

1. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Can I get the classic Jazz Bass Sound from the Roscoe Beck V?
    Or at least a very similar sound?

(maybe I look at the American Jazz Bass V Ash, instead?)
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Roscoe Beck Jazz is modeled to sound as close as possible to his 64 jazz bass. The RB5 IS a jazz bass and will nail a whole bunch of jazz bass tones, plus tones of other basses.The RB5 is possibly the best passive 5 string out there and will give you much more tonal options than the MIA v.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    That's right. The key is in the three way mini-switches for each pickup. Leave them in the center, and you split the humbuckers, and the active coils duplicate the pickup spacing on a Jazz. I've played an RB5, and it does indeed sound like a Jazz in that mode.
  4. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Okay, thanks for the Info!
    If Roscoe Beck used his RB5 on Robben Fords 'Blue Moon' record, I'm even more convinced.
    (especially if you listen to the track 'Indianola')
  5. Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Today my girlfriend was listening to Roben Ford and that song appeared..first time I `ve listened to that song...I told her I am sure that is Roscoe Beck playing and the he is using an RB5 cause it sounds with the distinctive tone I also can get with that bass..I would say the tone of that song only a RB5 can make that distinctive tone
  6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm predominantly a P-bass guy but felt I needed a J-bass to round out my tone. I wanted something a little diffrerent from what everyone else had and opted for a Roscoe Beck. That turned out to be one of the best moves I ever made!!

7. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    RB 5 best fender i have ever played
  8. Wow, you have a girlfriend that actually cares who Roscoe Beck is and what bass he uses? I'm impressed!!! :D