1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I get this tones with a musicman?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Langueta, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007

What is the key to get this incredible tone. I am not talking of tecnique. I am refering to the bass itself. New strings?????
    eq of the bass???
    I like that slap tone very much. But it seems he dont change the eq for the different styles he is playing but changes only the techniques applyed. I would love my bass can sound like that. I can play those things (I try), but my strings are old. What do you think?

2. DJones

DJones

Jan 4, 2007
    Regina, SK, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustic Image Amps
    "Don't get mad, get funky!"

3. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    yeah you can totally get that sound with a musicman...that bass sounds more like a musicman than a fender to me...

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Newish strings would help and knowing how to change your technique to pull the different sounds out of your bass. Muting. Fingerstyle with meat of thumb, etc.

Nothing in that video that can't be pulled out of a stingray tone-wise.

5. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    You can certainly dial that in with a EBMM Ray.

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    New strings, play lightly (very lightly) just a bit in front of the pickup. Lots of quick muting.

I agree with WilliamK; that sounds more like a Ray than a Jazz to my ears.

Wonderful player. Not my cup of tea style-wise, but great skills.

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I'm hearing a Jazz bass :) You can get something close with a Ray. The problem is that a Ray is generally too sizzle or too dark; it's hard to get that really open chunky tone he's getting in the video.

8. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Sounds like classic Jazz to me.

9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Play on the frets.

10. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Sounds just like my modified GL J bass.

11. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, that sounded more like a Jazz to my ears. You can get a similar sound out of a three band Ray, though; just not exact. Start with everything centered then boost the lows abit and the highs a bit more (in series if it's a fiver). I own a Stingray5 and a Jazz.

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Yeah, the series mode would help, it's a little chunkier than the parallel mode.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020