1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I gig with a Markbass CMD 151P Jeff Berlin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Julian Delphiki, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    Hey folks. I am a guitarist who is in the process of learning to play bass.

I have an opportunity to get a used CMD 151P Jeff Berlin from a local guy for roughly $500. I recently purchased my first bass from a TB'er and I am looking for my first amp. I was wondering if I'd be able to gig with a combo with these specs? I understand that it is expandable with an additional cab.

My other option is a Markbass Little Marcus 800 that I might be able to get a good deal on, which I would then need to trade one of my guitar amps in for a Markbass 4x10. Either way I'll need to sell some guitar gear to afford these options.

Sorry if this is a total noob question, but which option would you pursue and why?

Thanks!

JimHouchin likes this.
  2. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Welcome, firstly.

Yeah, the Berlin is quite giggable. And with an extension, you could do pretty much anything that wouldn't call for FOH support anyhow.

Now, for bass more power is always better. The LM800 (Marcus or not, it's the same amp) has more power than you will ever use. That and the Mark 4x10 front ported model...you could do anything and be LOUD.

What would I do? Well, I use a separate head/4x10 arrangement (sometimes 2 15s) and both those work nicely. I have a lot of room to be flexible. But the price on that Berlin is nice, and were I doing it again with an eye towards being practical that would probably be what I'd get - combo and extension speaker.

Aqualung60 and Julian Delphiki like this.
  3. A lot depends on your band and venues. How loud is the band, especially the drummer? How big are the venues? Can you count on PA support?

I gig with a rumble 100c, but; my drummer plays cajon, we do our own sound and I can always go through the PA.

I've played the smaller markbass 121p and really liked that. Considering that 151 is normally over a grand, that's a smoking hot deal! Extend that with another 15" or a 2x10" and you would really be cooking!

BluesWalker and Julian Delphiki like this.
  4. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    Yes, I want to be practical, because I realize it will be a long time before I am gigging. However, I don't want to have to go amp shopping again when that time comes, haha. Thanks for giving me some ideas to consider.

5. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    It would mostly be small bars and house shows. I would like to eventually play at church, but I believe they have a stack that sits in-house so that wouldn't be an issue.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome!

It's hard to say. If it were me, I would go for the head and 410 rig.

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Well, I guess it depends on the size of the gig.
    From what I remember of that amp, it had a fair amount of loudness on it's own. I didn't get a chance to try it with an extension cabinet, which it does support (8 ohms). I'd say on it's own it would be adequate for smaller bars, as long as the drummer and guitarist(s) aren't volume monsters.
    Now, whether you like it's tone is going to be totally subjective.

Julian Delphiki likes this.
  8. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    Exactly. I need to play it, but I won't be able to A/B it against a head/cab setup. I know Berlin is anti-tweeter, so I need to see if I can jive with that tone.

9. I would think you'd be set with the combo. Unless you're playing with a gorilla drummer and 2 tube half stacks.
    This is another matter, and a good point. Wouldn't hurt to get yourself to a guitar store and try several brands and see what tones you like.

10. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    I like the idea of the combo being expandable. Like, it's a quality amp in its own right, and can become a bit of a beast with another extension. I just wish I could play it right next to some other brands. Alas, it's at a dude's house an hour away from me. I'll hit the local megastore tomorrow and try some amps before I check out the combo.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    For $500 bucks it's a formidable amp. Just buy it and concentrate on playing.

GlenParks, Kaplan, pbass2 and 3 others like this.
  12. Most on here will tell you head/cab is best, but I really like the simplicity and convenience of combos. Works for me! That mark combo is such a good price; "worst" case scenario is it becomes a killer rehearsal room amp.

Great you can get to a store, as long as you use the same bass you'll get a rough idea. I highly recommend trying them all at flat EQ, at least at first, to se what each brands "baked in" tone is. If they have them in stock, I'd try a Fender rumble 500 and ampeg ba 210; 2 of my personal favorites and both comparable combos to the mark 151p

13. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    Exactly what I was thinking. I come from a long GAS-filled background with guitar, so it's difficult to pick one thing over others. But it's all for not if they chops aren't there.

14. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    Sounds good, thanks. I'll put them on the list!

15. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    When you get involved with bass gear GAS will not be your friend. The Berlin Combo is one that I gigged with for a while as has others with great success. It's solid, reliable, and sounds good. If down the road you decide it's not for you you'll get your money back.

16. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    It is very gigable. If more output is needed for large environments, either an extension cab can be added or a feed into the PA system.

Nevada Pete and Julian Delphiki like this.
  17. This.^

For hearing yourself better you can put it up a foot or 18" no worries. In a small venue that will often help keep the overall band volune down to an acceptable level.

18. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    You won't go wrong with either. As a beginner the Berlin makes a lot of sense. If you go bigger later you would still be wise to keep it for small gigs and practice. If you do want a bigger stack you may be more informed about what you need and prefer something else to the LM.

19. I would buy that Markbass combo in a second as long as it was working properly. At that price, you would have no problem getting your money back if you decided to sell it down the road. It would have no problem meeting your current needs, and if you eventually added an extension cab there would be very little it couldn't do.

20. neljoshua

neljoshua Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Bennett, CO (80102)
    Welcome!

I have a LM800 and 410HF as my main rig. It is awesome and is louder and more powerful than I think I will ever need. I use a Micromark 801 as a practice amp right now.

I like really Markbass amps. I have not played through the Jeff Berlin combo, but I imagine it is also great. As others have mentioned, that is a good price.

Personally I would have a slight preference for the separate head and cabinet (if money and space were not issues) but I do not think either would be a bad choice.