1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I go wrong trading for a Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5bassman, Jul 3, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I've decided to get rid of my Rob Allen MB-2 5 string. It's just not the sound I was looking for. A Sadowsky dealer offered me a good trade for it on a Metro MV5(trans white) or RV5(trans blue). I've never played one but read many great things about them. I play a fantastic Roscoe SKB 3005 and wondered how it compared with it. Can I go wrong in this deal? I'm getting about what I need for the Rob. Help me decide!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think you can go wrong. :)

3. Yes you can go wrong, if the Sadowsky isnt better suited to you than your Rob Allen.

No you cant go wrong, if the Sadowsky is better suited to you than the Rob Allen.

:D

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any info on the color schemes of the sad's?

5. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    The Sadowsky is definitely more in line with what I do.

6. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I can choose between a trans blue,pearl pickguard,rosewood neck or trans white, tortoise pickguard, maple neck. Hard to decide!

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If the dealer is local you can go find out if you can go wrong. But if your current bass isn't for you anyway, all these Sadowsky owners can't be wrong!

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The trans white and maple sounds stellar.

9. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Ands looks stellar with that Tortoise guard!
    But I haven't seen many trans blue out there and it looks good too!

10. Then what are you waiting for?? Go make a trade. :D

Id be very drawn to that trans white/tort/maple beauty.

11. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    It's drawing me! :p

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Thats a great color combo, be sure you get the VTC upgrade, it's well worth the $80 (do it yourself) or $150 (installed).

13. Well then, I look forward to pics and a review soon!! :D

14. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    That will be my first upgrade! DIY, of course!

15. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    White it is! I'll let ya know what I think about it in a coule of weeks! :p

16. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Do you want a fender Jazz type instrument in terms of look, feel, and tone (though revved up on all counts perhaps)?? If yes, than the Sadowsky is unlikely to disappoint you. If you want anything but this, then I would recommend against the Sadowsky. That's not to say that the Sadowsky and the Fender are the same beast, but the inspiration and purpose of the Sadowsky you are talking about is to provide a souped up modern version of Roger's vision of that perfect Fender Jazz.

I have and absolutely LOVE a Sadowsky. But, it isn't for everybody.

17. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Of course you can go wrong. What sort of "good trade" is the Sadowsky dealer offering you? If it's in good condition, your MB-5 is worth (conservatively) at least $1,400. What's the best price you can find on an MV5 or RV5? Is the Sadowsky dealer offering you that best price less $1,400? If not, it's not a good deal.

And besides the economics, it's very hard for me to understand how anyone looking for a particular sound could waver between a Rob Allen and a Sadowsky -- they are as different as night and day. Like someone saying that the Boxster they bought just wasn't the ride they were looking for and they were now looking to trade it in on a Hummer. Huh?

18. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Well, the Sadowsky is brand new and the sale price is the same as everyone sells it for since they don't discount. From what little cash I am adding to it, I'm getting what I want for the Rob.
    I went with the Rob because I wanted a different sound for songs that weren't right for my Roscoe. But It doesn't have the sound I want. So I'm going a different direction now. I want the vintage jazz type sound to offset the Roscoe. I'm not comparing the R.Allen to a Sadowsky, never said that. I just wanted something different to add to what I have. That wasn't it. Now I'm heading a different direction. BTW, I'm getting well over $1400 for the Rob Allen. I sold, bought and traded alot of things in my 42 years. I believe I know when I'm getting a "good deal".

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Go for it. I love my Sadowsky's Hope u love yours

Rob

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I don't think you can go wrong with this and I will bet you love it.