Can I go wrong with Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, May 26, 2005.

1. Ok, so I'm out there again - looking for a bass. And once more, the fact that I live in Norway is a pain in the ass. We simply have no Atlanta bass gallery or basscentral where we can try out all the high end basses.

Anyway, my plan was to keep my warwick corvette, and buy a fender standard or deluxe jazzbass. Basically because I can afford it, and I will then have two different basses. So I tried the two, and actually liked the passive most. (I play mainly fusion, funk and jazz btw.And off course the pop-jobs occasionaly.) I dunno why, but the deluxe seemed a little bit too "hard" and hot soundwise. But off course it could have been me not treating the EQ right...

But my plans have changed. Now I believe that maybe I should sell my warwick as well, and go with one high end bass instead. So I've fallen in love with Sadowsky Metro. I'm thinking either this:
    or this:

I've heard so much great things about them, but still it's always dangerous to buy withouth trying. But you got to know, I have no opportunity to try out anything else then the most common basses. My main question is: What are the odds that I'll like a Sadowsky? (It sure looks gorgeous - at least that's not the problem.) Is it worth the risk?

Btw, my rig is Thunderfunk amp and Schroeder 1210 cab...
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

First off: I own a Sadowsky and am happy with it. But the answer to your question is "Yes"... you could go wrong with Sadowsky, or any other bass for that matter. There is no guarantee that you'll be happy, even with your killer bass rig. You love the Sadowsky look, but you might not care for the tone or the playability.

However, Sadowsky does have a very generous 7-day return policy. If you think that's enough for you to know whether or not the Metro is your bass, then it might be worth taking the chance. Good luck!

P.S. I have to say that I do not recommend getting rid of two basses for one if that one will be your only bass. IMO it's better to have a backup in case your primary stops working. You don't even have to like your backup, it just has to be playable.
  3. Well, I've been to BassCentral and I played a Metro. I was not impressed. The Lull they had there was 10 times the bass easily! My Trace-Elliot T-Bass blows the doors off of the Metro. I think for the hype, they are not worth it. I also think if you are worried about the deluxe sounding too hot, you need to make sure whatever you get, make sure it has a passive option.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Norwegianwood, why you go down to Denmark and check out a Celinder? It might be a better deal for you since it is in the Euro zone with you. I am always impressed when I listen to Celinder sound clips at their website.
  5. Thanks, I'm always stunned by how fast you guys respond! Awesome....
    Anyway, I know I got to try it out myself to know if it's the perfect bass to me. So I guess my question should not be if I "can go wrong", but really if it's worth the risk or not...I simply have no change to try it out. Because obviously, only the flight to america costs more than a standard Jazz Bass. And I know that the metro (with passive tone control) is both passive and active, wich suits my needs pretty much.

And yeah, I'm planning to buy a used mim standard to service as a backup...Hate it when those strings breaks.

Thanks again, I'll consider all your suggestions.
  6. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    IMHO you can go wrong with every bass, even with a $20k one. If it's not your style of bass regarding feel and sound, even an expensive bass can be dissapointing for you. Sadowsky basses are said to be very good by a lot of people, but I know people that aren't big fans of Sadowsky... Before you would actually buy a bass, I'd play it for a (long, if possible) time, and preferably through more than one amp... Everyone has a different taste afterall... Good luck.
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yes, You can go wrong with one, Rogers instruments are exceptional, but everyone has different taste a preferences in necks, string spacing, and body feel. I have played the Celender, and exceptional bass, great tone, a little more defined then the Sadowsky not quite as punchy. The Lull, excellent workmanship, As good as Rogers but I didn't like the pre in the one I played, and they don't begin to hold used value the way Rogers basses do. I have heard nothing but good about Mike Lulls service, but the reports I've had on Celinders (second hand) were not so good in the states. Roger, Off course provides exceptional service!

I've owned Alembic, Warwick Thumb neck thru, Tobais, Kubicki, Yamaha, Pedulla, and Various Fenders and I have found the "one", it's a RV5 Metro. I have a good friend and monster player in Motown, Mikebass on TB, who has given up a Fodera, and rarely plays his splatted top burl "F Bass" because of his Metro four string! It's hard to explain there sound except to say that in a band context it "works" every time. I can't tell you how many of my guitar player friends tell me thats the best sounding bass they've ever heard. And every-time I've played out I have bass players in the clubs complimenting me on my sound, and I know it's not my playing. So My suggestion is, GO FOR THE 7 DAY TRIAL, and unless your in a total Slap funk situation get the RV!

8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Roger makes great basses but you can absolutely go wrong with his or any other bass. He does have a nice return policy though so in that respect you will not "lose".

If you're looking for a J bass in that price range you may also want to check out Atelier Z. Those are some of the nicest J clones that I've played.
  9. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    With all of these Sadowsky threads I want to try one out. Where's the Atlanta Bass Gallery?
  10. Yes, the seven day trial is indeed great...
    You guys know, importing a sadowsky metro will, after all extra expenses, cost me about as much as the fender deluxe jazz ash costs over here in Norway...
    The celinders were gorgeous, I'm going to check them up more as well...
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In Atlanta. :D
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Aren't Atelier Z's built in the Metro shop in Japan? I know there is some connection?
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The guy that builds the Metros and Sadowsky Tokyo series was the guy behind the Ateliers, IIRC.
  15. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I know that it says something to that affect on the Sadowsky site, but I'm not sure it's entirely accurate.

I think one of the luthiers at Atelier moved over to Sadowsky at some point and eventually began doing some of the import stuff but the master luthier who has always made Atelier's (Mas Hino) is still making them today. He's a pretty amazing builder with a great ear for tone.
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Thanks. BTW, I think those basses are GROSSLY underrated.
  17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow....this is a beauty
  18. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Agreed. Those Atelier basses are so well thought out in terms of capturing that particular vibe. I had lunch with Mas from Atelier a few weeks back and we spent time talking about his construction ideals and I can tell you first hand that he is deadly serious about tone and playability.

Sorry for the side bar guys. Back to the thread - I think if you pick a wood and electronics combo that works for you, you could definitely be quite happy with a Sadowsky - but as I've said before, there are no guarantees with any luthier. I'm probably the biggest Fodera advocate on the planet (which should be quite obvious upon visiting my site) but I've had Foderas come through the shop that just didn't do it for me personally. Happy hunting though!
  19. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I really didnt like any of the 3 Metro's that i played.