1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can i have a band with only 3 people?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by autumnwinds, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. autumnwinds

autumnwinds

May 28, 2018
    So me and my two other friends were thinking of starting our own mini band kind of thing. One of my friends will play piano, my other friend is doing flute and Im gonna do bass guitar. Now what I am wondering, if this will work out and actually sound good? One of the songs we want to do is Believer by Imagine Dragons, so Im thinking just get my iPad and put on just the drums for this song and that might work. Im curious though if flute, bass and piano are a good mix?

2. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Why not. You haven't mentioned what genre.

FingerDub likes this.
  3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Depends entirely on the musicians and the arrangements, as well as what else you'll be using (i.e. backing tracks for drums, etc. or you playing a bass and a kick drum /cajon at the same time and/or one of the other folks doubling in some way.) Plenty of bands that small (The Police for instance) and smaller, and the money splits larger the fewer bodies you have, unless you have a venue that will actually pay more for your 8-person extravaganza than any other band...

Try it, record it, and attempt to review the recordings with a realistic sense of what you are actually hearing, not what you think it sounded like while playing it.

eJake likes this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Any group of people getting together to play music is a "band," so yes, you can have a band with any three people you want.

The question, for any band really, is how THIS particular group of people will perform THIS song, especially if you aren't writing songs specifically for this combination of instruments to perform. The less the instrumentation, or abilities, of the band members resembles the group that originally recorded it, the more you're going to have to think about arrangements to make it work for YOU.

Don't let that discourage you, just let it stimulate you to experiment and see what works. A lot of great music gets made from creative covers of tunes.

FingerDub and T_Bone_TL like this.
  5. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes.

6. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Sure but bass is a whole lot more fun with some sort of percussion.

lz4005 likes this.
  7. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe.:woot:

Herrick and Snaxster like this.
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    You’ve got a chordal instrument (piano), melody (flute), and harmony/rhythm (bass). All that’s missing that an audience will really want to hear is percussion. Seems like the kind of group that should have a cajon player.

9. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I've been in a Duo before - loved it, cuts down on disagreements.

10. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    ...which is why flautists and bassists have feet. The Piano Player's feet are generally occupied already.

11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Absolutely

12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Like these acts?

Oddly likes this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Sounds like it could be fun...some percussion might be nice too but I think not essential. Good Luck!

14. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    You can have a band with one people