Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I have John Paul Jones' tone in a 5-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrionManMatt, Aug 13, 2005.

1. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    For under $1,000...

I have been playing around on quite a few basses and am still looking for a 5-string that has the tone I am looking for. I am about to start playing bass in a rock band but still play a lot for my church. I have always admired Jonesy's tone and wondered what recommendations you might have for basses to try out.

I've never been able to play on a Lakland so I can't comment on them. I'd love to know. I love the tone of the MIM RI Jazz basses. I just can't seem to find a ballsy vintage/modern jazz tone.

I wasn't sure how to search for this so if someone has some suggestions for topics that might have already covered this, please inform me.

2. try a jazz bass but with flats. i've gotten pretty close with a jazz bass with TI Flats, though an ampeg

3. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Good point. I've always loved playing flats.

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    might try the KSD Designs 60's j... very nice bass for the price with a great modern jazz tone. Not sure how well it will also do the vintage sound....

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

TI Jazz Flats on a J-type bass are decidedly the way to go. Slap those puppies on a Lakland Joe Osborn 5-string, fade the pickup toward the neck, roll off the tone a little, and you're there. :D

Classic tone, BTW. Jones was a heck of a player. His part on "The Lemon Song" makes me giggle like a little kid -- what creativity!!!

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Roscoe Beck V with flats?

7. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Yeah, now try listening to THAT right before you walk into a shop trying to find a 5-string that'll do that. Led Zeppelin II is above and beyond my favorite record to listen to lately for Jones' tone, "Lemon Song" especially. It still makes me giggle.

Would a 55-01 be able to pull it off similarly to the JO5? I think I can pick one up for around $525 or so...

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Try to find a Hamer USA CruiseBass 5. I've got the 4 string version and it'll zep out all night long. My Sadowsky Metro RV5 does it even better when in passive mode, but those will set you back about an extra $800 even if you shop used. I think all of the lakland skyline models have ash bodies, so they'll likely sound a little more marcus-ey.

I thought JPJ always used Rotosound roundwounds ... why all the flats reccomendations?

9. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've got a passive JO4 w/flats and it sounds completely like what you're describing. Big vintage balls ala JPJ. Lakland 5-strings are fantastic, but some say the 35" scale alters that classic tone. Maybe you could pick that out in the studio, but for live playing a JO5 would suffice. The Rosce Beck V recommendation is also a good one.

I had a 55-01 and they're nice, but it does NOT sound like a vintage jazz. More like an active, modern jazz with humbuckers. You will not get the sound you're after.

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I completely disagree. I have DR strings on mine and i can easily get a tone similar to that by simply rolling off a bit of the treble. Not to mention it has a slightly punchier quality. Then again, i have the upgraded USA pre-amp in mine.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender Roscoe Beck 5.

Flats give a vintage sound, all right. IIRC JPJ used roundwounds, but pretty much anything sounds vintage through an Acoustic 360/361 rig. :p

12. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Now where do I find a JO5 for under a grand? ha.

It seems like having a defeatable active switch will help make a noticeable change between the vintage and more modern tones but would it be unwise for me to switch only one of the pickups? Or will using flats, combined with active pickups allow me to maintain a clean, focused modern tone?

13. you can get a good JPJ sound with this fiver! ;)

[​IMG]

14. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Hey Matt...I'm personally looking for a JO5 as well. I found a really nice one locally through craigslist, however I don't like the color. It's Candy Apple Red, and if you want it, it's a great deal. Great Deal on Craigslist

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I was thinking that when I saw the thread title.