1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I have your opinions on the Acoustic Image Focus 2R MK2 please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6stringbassist, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    I just wondered what people thought of them, soundwise etc.

I'd be using it with a Bergantino EX112ER.

I play bass guitar and EUB.

Thanks !

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The beauty of the AI amps is they do not have a "sound". They're flat! They make no attempt whatsoever to colour or alter the sound of the instrument in any way. In fact they go to great lengths to maintain the natural tone of your instrument.

There was a thread here on Tb recently where someone disputed whether or not the AI's were flat, so someone with enough engineering know-how tested the frequency response of the amp. Guess what... it's flat:)

I'll see if I can find the thread and link you to the frequency response plot I'm referring to.......

... yep found it!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7205710&postcount=137

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The power sections of the AI amps are surely flat like any other. The preamp is 'relatively flat' like many others, but due to the voicing (or 'nature') of the preamp, the tone of the AI amps is more on the 'mid warm' side, with a relatively soft top end response IME. It's better IMO not to really think about 'flat' or not regarding amplification, since, for example, the LMII also tests literally flat on the scope, and those two amps couldn't sound more different. Preamps will all sound quite different, even when shown to be 'flat' on the scope (or EQ'd to be flat on the scope).

To the OP....I did not find that the Focus/Clarus match-up with the Bergantino cabs (HT models) was a particularly good one. However, if you are using the EX without tweeter, it will be a nice 'mellow warm' voicing combined with a nice 'mellow warm' voicing, which should be fine if you don't want a lot of brightness in your tone.

Is the MK2 the combo version? If that's the combo with the downfiring speaker, I would not think that cab would play very well with the EX112, which has lower SPL and a totally different voicing.